Chapter 26

The situation in the bunker was growing increasingly tense. As we tried to formulate a plan for selecting the survivors, the Grounders took action, herding all members of Skaikru into the rotunda. The atmosphere was charged with anxiety and fear. When we were called out from the office, the Grounders sealed the doors behind them, effectively trapping everyone inside. The crowd's anxiety quickly turned to panic as they realized they were locked in. Their eyes turned to Jaha, who had been instrumental in bringing them here. The air was thick with tension and uncertainty.

Jaha, confronted with the palpable fear and confusion of our people, was met with Bellamy's accusing gaze. "Three out of every four of these people are going to die tonight," Jaha growled, his frustration directed at Bellamy. "Do you still think you made the right choice?"

While Jaha attempted to pacify the crowd, I slipped away into the office with my mother. Exhaustion overtook me, and I collapsed onto the couch, surrendering to a fitful sleep. It felt like an eternity since I had last rested, and my body and mind were desperate for reprieve. When I awoke, the bunker was still abuzz with activity and whispered conversations. I learned that Raven had made contact, a glimmer of hope in the midst of despair. I considered getting up to speak with her, but the weight of exhaustion was too great. I closed my eyes, hoping to find a few more moments of elusive sleep, to escape, however briefly, from the overwhelming reality that awaited us.

My mother's voice was steady but filled with urgency as she spoke into the walkie, "Just hang in there. We're sending a team for you today."

"You're sure about that?" Raven's voice crackled through the static, a mix of hope and skepticism.

"Yes. We need you, Raven," my mom replied, a smile of relief gracing her face. "Not just for the things we know you can fix, but for the countless problems we haven't even anticipated yet."

"Thank you, Abby," Raven responded, her voice carrying a hint of gratitude and relief.

"I'm just relieved you're safe. Kegan will be too, once he wakes up. He's been worried about you," my mother added, her voice tinged with concern.

Raven's reply was reassuring. "I'll be okay. The seizures have stopped, my brain is healing. When I get there, we'll use the same procedure on you. You'll be cured," she explained. "And Kegan... he always finds a way through. I miss him."

"Cured?" Kane's voice interjected, concern evident in his tone as he approached my mother. "What's she talking about?"

My mother's decision to withhold the information from Kane was understandable, yet it underscored the complexity of our situation. Who was I to judge anyone, especially after the choices I had made in the past few days?

"We can discuss it when you arrive," my mom said firmly, closing off that line of conversation.

I sat up, stretching my arms as I tried to shake off the weariness. Just then, Bellamy and Jaha burst back into the office, their expressions fraught with anxiety.

"Our people are terrified, Marcus," Jaha said urgently. "We need to give them some assurance."

"We've just confirmed Raven's arrival. With her here, we'll have all our essential personnel," Kane explained, trying to offer some semblance of hope.

"How many spots does that leave us with?" I asked, walking over to join Bellamy.

"Including the essential staff and spaces reserved for children under sixteen, that leaves us with eighty," my mother answered.

"Eighty," I repeated, the number feeling both small and overwhelming.

Jaha couldn't hide his distress. "I can't believe we're discussing sending 364 of our own people to their deaths."