Chapter 2

The guard's voice broke the tense atmosphere in the room, addressing Kane with a sense of duty and concern. "Sir, that's everyone we could find. I've stationed ten guards at the temple door. Are you sure you don't want me to stay?" His eyes scanned the room, the weight of the responsibility evident in his posture.

Kane, projecting an air of leadership and decisiveness, responded with a firm command. "You lead them home, Major," he ordered, his voice carrying the unspoken gravity of the situation.

As I observed Abby and Kane together, a sense of bittersweet relief washed over me. Despite the tragedy and complexity surrounding Abby's past, including the painful chapter involving my dad, it was clear she had found a semblance of peace with Kane. Their connection, strengthened amidst chaos and uncertainty, was a rare beacon of hope in our tumultuous lives. The moment, however, was abruptly interrupted by a knock on the door. Bellamy and Indra entered, their expressions grim and foreboding, signaling that they brought news of grave importance.

I braced myself for their report. "Well?" I asked, my voice steady despite the apprehension building inside me.

Bellamy's reply was laced with resignation. "You're not gonna like it," he sighed, preparing us for the worst.

Indra, her demeanor as stoic as ever, delivered the disturbing news with a straightforward bluntness. "When you destroyed the City of Light, there were a thousand Azgeda warriors inside the City of Polis."

Octavia, ever the fighter, responded with her characteristic blend of sarcasm and readiness for battle. "Good timing."

"The only way to remove them is by force," Indra stated, her tone implying the inevitable conflict that lay ahead.

Octavia was quick to accept the challenge. "Then let's remove them."

Indra, however, added a realistic perspective. "Yes, Rockline, Flokru, and Broadleaf will join Trikru without question. We'll still be short." Her assessment painted a stark picture of our disadvantage.

Abby, ever concerned for our safety, interjected with a sense of urgency. "This is madness. We should be leaving with the others."

Kane, contemplating the strategic implications, countered. "They know where we live, if we run they'll follow. There are eight other clans, how do we get them to join us?"

Indra's gaze turned towards me, her request laden with the weight of history and tradition. "I can do it, but I'll need the Flame."

My refusal was immediate and firm. "No."

Bellamy attempted to reason with me, highlighting the political realities. "Kegan, the other clans will follow whoever has the flame."

I stood my ground, aware of the complexities of Grounder politics. "Azgeda won't."

Octavia, undeterred and eager for action, pushed the point. "Then we fight, that's the point."

I countered, exasperated. "No it's not, the point is we don't have time for a fight. We have to save Roan."

Octavia's frustration was palpable. "Save him? They won't let us near him."

Abby, sensing there was more to the story, sought clarification. "Wait a second, what don't we know?"

I took a deep breath, revealing the dire truth. "The reason A.L.I.E. created the City of Light. Nuclear reactors inside power plants that survived the bombs are melting down. Radiation levels are already rising. If we can't figure out a way to fix it, all of us will be dead in six months."

Kane and Abby exchanged a glance, their expressions a mix of disbelief and concern. "A.L.I.E. told you this?" Kane asked, seeking confirmation.

"Yes," I nodded, the reality of the situation weighing heavily on me.