"Why are you so afraid of him? You are clearly powerful enough to deny his words and make your own destiny. So why remain under his shadow?"

"I have no where else to go if I ran away. I would never be allowed to return home and he would hunt me down and kill me. There is no escape."

"You could stay with me. Wherever I go you are always welcome."

"I must stay with my people."

"So that's why your marrying Noatak?" He says this with a harsh tone and his fists are clenched.

"I marry him and become the leader of the Ash People and I will make sure no harm is done to Pandora ever again." That is the plan my brain desires but my heart yearns for something else that I can't identify yet.

"Do you love him?" He turns to look at me as we approach the clan.

"Love is for the weak. It is a fantasy concocted by those who avoid duty. Discipline. It is not real." All of the memories of my parents relationship pile up all at once. They never loved one another. They fought and complained at every moment. If that is the meaning of love then I am highly against it.

I avoid looking at Neteyam and make my way up the stairs and head towards my pod when all of a sudden Chief Tonowari steps in front of us. Beside him is Jake Sully and Neytiri. Shit.

"What is the meaning of this? Where were you two?" Tonowari searches us for answers but all he gets is blank stares. Neteyam speaks first.

"Sir we had just gone on a walk but got lost. That is why it took so long."

Tonowari looks at Jake Sully who seems to not be buying any of this and says "Neteyam come with me." Jake Sully and Neytiri leave and Neteyam follows behind them, glancing at me once before leaving.

Tonowari steps closer and says "(Y/n). It is dangerous to go out there alone and I am responsible for your safety. I advise that you remain here and away from danger."

I nod and head towards my pod. My life is not even my own. There have always been limits, boundaries so evident they leave me questioning my existence. Will I ever be free?

I felt freedom with Neteyam today. It hurts to know I can never feel that again.

...

Neteyam POV:

I follow my parents to our pod. I know what awaits me but I don't regret what I did today. I don't regret being with her no matter who is against it. I head inside after my parents and notice my siblings are here as well. I turn to look at my parents who share a look of anger.

Lo'ak gets up and says "bro. Your love life is messed up." I look at him angrily and make my way up to my parents.

"Sir—"

"Love? Really Neteyam, is that what your doing now? The girl is engaged son." Dad says with emphasis on the word I hate hearing. I glare at Lo'ak. This idiot speaks at the worst times.

"Neteyam. I told you the girl was dangerous but you go out alone with her?"

"Mother it wasn't a big deal—"

"She is the enemy. Her intentions are not right and I know it. Fire kills my son. It kills. Listen to me carefully."

"Mother—"

"From now on you will stay away from (Y/n). Do you understand Neteyam?" Mother says with a firm voice, anger laced in her tone.

How can I stay away from her when I was beginning to get close? Just thinking about it hurts more than anything.

"I understand."