1 - Garden faerie

[Exi]

We were too young to recall every detail of this whole history. Kindergarten. That crucial time when we were still forming the building blocks of our personalities.

Memories.

Experiences.

I remember from that time that there was this odd kid with whom I had a soft spot. To begin the story, having a soft spot for him doesn't always mean we have a standard connection. We never talked, yet our bickering in almost everything made a mark on my hippocampus.

To describe him, he's the kid no one dared to engage in (that explains our disagreements). He broke children's hearts because of his specific ways of protecting his peace and marking his space. I would describe him as a lone hornet in a deep slumber in a garden full of honey bees. He's not that terrible, but he's not a wonderful kid on the surface.

I, on the other hand, am everyone's friend. The heaven-sent apology for all of his mere existence. Despite his questionable doings, I always tell myself that maybe he's shy and reserved. Looking back at it makes me want to scratch my brain from the fast-approaching frustration.

He had puzzle boards that he would pull out of his lunchbox during recess to avoid interacting with other kids. That is another reason why I find him odd. I see that he enjoys almost no interaction with me. On the contrary, I am anxious when my classmates are avoiding me. Polar opposites.

I always stayed behind at the end of every class because my dad would pick me up late. We were the ones left every afternoon, but he would be picked up before me by his mom. I haven't spoken to him and do not even dare to respect his privacy. I expect nothing, but I always hope he will be accompanied. Being alone is sad, and I bet he doesn't enjoy the solitude that we give him.

One time, one of our classmates tried talking to him, but he was upset because the kid had a problem being involved with other kids. Our teachers tried pleasing him, but he's just a different breed. Everyone gives up on him quickly, as if he is more than impossible, even for the pros. Even I can not stand him and how he treats those around him.

And yet, I managed to recall how I ended up being friends with that kid - that's a major flex.

"Do you enjoy being alone that much?"

That was the first question and the first time I tried communicating with him. I asked him for the first time since today was the last day of classes. I received no answer as he continued picking up some gumamela flowers. From my perspective, he's gathering the ones in full bloom, which is quite brave since he knows he will be scolded when the teacher finds out about this.

"You know you are given a mouth to use in answering questions and engaging in a conversation," I told him as I controlled my reactions that he might mistakenly take as offensive. I am cautious for my sake.

"I'd rather misuse it than converse with you."

He faces me with annoyance plastered all over his tiny face as if he's not the one who's annoying me with his unresponsive notions. I gave him a feigned smile that sent my cheeks to squeeze my eyes. How pretentious of me.

"Oh, you're that kid who is everyone's friend except for me."

He finally faces me with his signature, unimpressed expression.

"And you're that kid that no one wants to be with because you push them away," I fire back in a neutral tone. (I shouldn't have said that.)

"At least I am not worried about people leaving my side the moment things become inconvenient for them."

I have no idea where his vexation is coming from, but his last statement is undeniably plausible. Isn't it good that I am simply helpful without a fee for my services? It's not my fault that I am selfless and generous, unlike him.