"Nicole?" A voice creeped up from behind, causing the metal locker to slam shut from the sudden jerk of Nicole's body jumping.

She quickly whipped around, only to be met by Michael's curly brown hair and deep brown eyes.

"Oh, hey Michael. What's up?" She figured she'd act casual, even though she was freaking out that a rumor was already spreading.

Billy's words also lingered in her head.

"What we're you doing with Billy today? You two never ride together." The question came out slightly bitter.

"Oh— Steve never showed this morning. I was going to walk but Billy offered a ride and-"

"And you took it? Even knowing all the crap he spreads about you?" More questions shot.

"Well.. I'm not one to hold a grudge, you know? And it was a way better option than walking because-" her rambling was once again cut off.

"You're really fucking him, aren't you? I didn't want to believe it but nothing else makes sense. He is so hostile with you, yet you continue to lurk around him." Michael's scoff could've cut the air with how sharp it was.

"What? N-no. That's not it at all, why won't you even let me explain-" cut off, again.

"Because whores like you don't get to speak up." Nicole had to wipe the spit that flew from Michael's mouth from how bitter he was being.

"No, Michael. You're going to let me talk," her pointed finger shoved at his chest, and she didn't realize the crowd forming around the two, "for one, don't you ever call me a whore. I am not one, and never will be. Two, my story is true. Nothing is happening between Billy and I, it was just a ride to school."

She had to pause to step back and shake her head, clutching her school books closer to her chest. It was so the hot tears pooling in her eyes didn't spill over.

"I thought you were different," her small voice cracked, "but you're just like every other airhead boy in this school."

With that, she quickly shoved past Michael, knocking him off balance on her way. She now noticed the crowd of people, and tried to drown out the shouts coming from the fuming boy she had just argued with. She was pushing past peer, after peer, just trying ti get to fresh air before the lump in her throat escaped and she was humiliated further.

No matter what, she was always humiliated somehow. Every time she gave a boy a chance, it crashed and burned harder than before. She was so tired of being the talk of the small high school, when all she desired was peace. They'd be graduating in just months, yet it was still fun to drive a teenagers life to hell. It was exhausting.

Just as she made her way outside, shoving the school doors open and trying to stop her already rapid breathing, someone held onto her arm. Her first instinct was to shake the hand off, not bothering to see whoever the mysterious person was. Between hyperventilating, and being more than overwhelmed, Nicole was becoming light headed quickly.

"Hey, hey. Calm down." The deep voice tried to comfort, but Nicole knew she was on the verge of a panic attack.

She felt herself being dragged away from the doors, and realized through her blurry vision that they were now sat in a crevice of the school, away from peering eyes.

"I-I can't b-breathe." Nicole managed to get out, sucking in sharp breaths as ugly sobs involuntarily fell from her lips.

"Shh.. you're okay. You've gotta breathe... fuck." They cursed under their breath, before wrapping their burly arms around her small frame in a secure grip.

Between listening to their heartbeat, and their breaths as well, Nicole managed to calm down within a few minutes. Her body felt tired, and she was slumped into the persons body. As she snapped out of her episode, the scent of a familiar cologne filled her nose, and she squeezed her eyes shut.

"Billy?" Her voice came out in a whisper.

"Are you better now?" He questioned, a hint of genuine concern was noticed.

"I think so," she paused, to pull her body away some, "I'm sorry."

Billy stared into her eyes for a moment, before his hand came up to brush a few strands if wet hair off her flushed face. He didn't want to be seen caring, he didn't want her to find out about the small soft spot he held for her. So, to protect his ego, he quickly removed his hand from her face and pushed himself further away. Nicole felt cold at the sudden loss of warmth.

"Do you need a ride home?" He cleared his throat, searching through his pockets, most likely to find his cigarettes.

All Nicole gave him back was a nod yes. She just wanted to go home and sleep the bad feelings away, like she did majority of the time. Billy found his cigarettes on the way to his car, and quickly lit one before he got inside. It was only a few seconds of getting situated before the car was speeding down the road, on the way to Cherry Lane.

Nicole's eyes were fluttered shut, and Billy couldn't help but wonder what the girl was thinking. He already made a mental note to put Michael in his place, but there was enough drama for one day by the time he caught sight of him. The car was silent, neither of them talked because it seemed like there was nothing to talk about.

"Thanks for the ride." Nicole mumbled as the car pulled to a stop outside her house.

"Don't mention it."

Then Nicole was getting out of the car, yet Billy found himself wishing she wouldn't have.