08

Monday came around quickly, and Nicole was back to carrying herself with a high head. Her hair was perfectly curled on her shoulders, lips glossed with her signature lip gloss. She wore a flowing cream dress that only hugged around her upper body, with a cropped white cardigan to cover her dainty shoulders.

She had finished her breakfast quickly, getting ready to rush out of the house before she would be late to school. However, when she exited the house she was met with quite a surprise. Steve stood, leaning on his car while his fingers nervously fidgeted around.

"Good morning, Nicole." He greeted, tone teetering only slightly due to the nerves.

"Morning Steve, what are you doing here?" She asked, gripping her book bag strap tighter.

"I think we need to talk.. about a lot." He cleared his throat, gesturing to the BMW behind his body.

She paused for a moment, before sending a small smile toward the boy, "fine, I guess."

Nicole almost skipped to the passenger side of the car, but not before sneaking a glance at 4819 Cherry Lane. Stood next to the bright blue Camaro was a boy, who's jaw was clenched so hard the girl could see it from yards away. She gulped, ducking her head as she placed herself into the passenger seat, waiting for Steve to drive off and begin their talk.

"I know what Nancy did." He spoke up after some time, hand clenching the steering wheel.

"Yeah?" Nicole's hands tightened in her lap, scrunching her dresses soft cotton material.

"She got drunk, spilled a whole bunch of secrets. How she was jealous of our friendship, how you had an obsession with me, how our relationship was bullshit.." his voice wavered as he neared the end.

"What?" Nicole gasped, snapping her head in the boys direction.

"She told me she never loved me. How she only stayed because she thought it would make you jealous." He chuckled bitterly, swiping the fallen hair out of his face in a haste. 

"Oh my god, Steve.. I'm so sorry." The blonde shot her best friend a solemn look, just as he pulled into the school parking lot.

"No, no it's fine! Really, I'll get over it." He smiled, though it didn't meet his eyes.

"Well, you've always got me Steve, and I mean it." She showed her bright teeth, placing a hand on the boys shoulder.

"I know. I love you, Nic'." He grinned, pulling her into a hug from across the seat.

"I love you too."

The roaring of an engine cut the moment off, as the pair pulled away from their sentimental hug. Billy's car raced into the parking lot, carelessly swinging into his signature parking spot where the other populars would park. Nicole's attention was now on the car as she exited Steve's, book bag slung perfectly over her shoulder.

Steve stepped out of his car as well, noticing his best friends gaze set on something. So, he too turned toward it. He realized that she was staring at Billy, and rolled his eyes. Steve knew the type of guy Billy was, and he didn't want Nicole to be a pawn in any of the games he would play.

"Cmon, we're gonna' be late to class." He nodded toward the school, catching the girls attention who only nodded.

Meeting Steve's side, they began to walk into school. However, it was Steve and Nicole. The two people who were sworn to never be granted a break from the cruel reality of high school. Nicole just wasn't expecting the words to fall from this certain persons mouth.

"Harrington! You and Wheeler break up and now you're public with Moore again? Wouldn't you hate to hear what a dirty girl she's been when shes not getting your attention." Billy taunted, a big, fat smirk plastered upon his face.