One Step Forward...

Ding.

Ding.

Ding.

The church bells thunder ominously, signifying the end of today's worship. Jinsol delicately closes her Bible and rises to her feet as the rest of the churchgoers do the same. The thrum of people conversing and their feet against the hardwood is a low roar in her ears. She's surrounded by other people of faith and of course that makes her happy, but she can't help but feel a little ache in her heart these days. She used to be able to just smile and nod but-

"Yeah, it's crazy that the legislation is even thinking about passing that bill! What do those people need protection for?"

"I know! Our children don't need to-"

That's enough. Jinsol knows she'll be sick to her stomach if she listens to any more. Conservatives like them are a minority in their county, but that doesn't mean they're nonexistent. It's worse when you have to live with them. Well, that's not too much of a problem if you have parents who are never home. Haha, Jinsol thinks bitterly.

Knowing that both Jungeun and Sooyoung are also attending worship at the much more progressive church makes her feel estranged. Yes, her parents aren't around often. But these nosy old people would definitely say something if she were to stop coming here. She sighs quietly as she slips through the large oak doors.

Her phone buzzes.

From: Jungie <3: doin errands w mom- come over in two hours?

Jinsol sighs. She supposes she can spend two more hours without her girlfriend. Two more hours without that perfect smile and those soft hands. And even softer li-

Just as she starts to think about her favorite person, her least favorite lightly collides with her back.

"Could you walk any slower, Jung Jinsol?" Kahei lets out an exasperated huff as she fixes her hair which was very much untouched.

"Could you be any more of a-" No, not while you're leaving church Jinsol. "Whatever Kahei," Jinsol shoots the girl an annoyed glance as they're suddenly walking in tow with each other. "Don't you have someone else to bother?"

"I'm bothering you? I haven't even done anything, you're the one brooding about and walking slow as molasses like a forlorn wife in a war film!" Kahei fires back, pushing her glasses up onto her face like an anime character. Very cool.

Jinsol almost busts out laughing. "You're such a nerd, who even thinks of coming up with something like that?" She taunts, repressing the urge to tease Kahei more as the older girl scowls up at her. Yes, Jinsol is taller. Yes, she always made that a point when they were kids. No, she'll never let Kahei forget it.

"I'm not the one who wanted to be the periodic table for Halloween when she was 10!"

"Well I'm not the one who spends hours on blogs dedicated to niche period films and debates like her life depends on it!"

"Oh yeah, well at least I didn't have a breakdown about getting a 99 on a calculus test!"

"It was a very important test!"

"Sure it was, mathlete."

"Like that's an insult!"

Jinsol and Kahei end their squabbling shortly after, their walk halted as they're about to part ways.

"The sermon was good today, but I could do without all those old fogies moaning about laws as if they're not going to pass away any day now." For once, Kahei has said something that Jinsol can agree with.