She saw right through my act, raising her eyebrows curiously.

"Painkillers for what, exactly?" I asked resignedly. I couldn't scrounge up a single memory.

"You don't remember?" she breathed incredulously. I shrugged helplessly.

America moved the blanket that rested over my body and lifted my hospital gown. A large, white bandage was covering my abdomen. How could I forget something as major as this? I reached to run my fingers along where the dressing was thickest, but America grabbed my wrist to stop me.

"I wouldn't. Morphine only works so much." She let go of the gown and my wrist before pulling the blanket back on to me.

"What happened to me, America?"

The corners of her mouth twitched, her eyes turning sad. Her voice wavered as she said, "There was a bomb on one of the windowsills. You told me to run, but I didn't know it was there. I took too long and you pushed me to the floor. You put yourself over me. You were going to sacrifice your safety for mine."

A tear spilled from her eye. I could see how much this memory pained her, how guilty she felt.

"The bomb went off and a piece of glass went into your side," she explained, motioning to my torso.

She ran a shaky hand through her hair, collapsing into a fit of sobs. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Maxon."

Even in my confused state, I knew to pull her close and console her. She put her cheek against my shoulder and I put my lips near her ear. "It's okay. I'm fine now," I murmured softly.

America pulled back. "You don't understand. Your heart stopped on the operating table. Twice."

That was a shock, but I didn't let it phase me too much. America needed me to be strong. She needed her husband to be there for her.

I put my forehead against hers. I wiped my thumb under her eyes, brushing away the tears. "You don't have to be sorry, love. If I made the decision to protect you instead of myself, then it is my fault not yours."

"Don't you ever do this to me again. It hurt so much, Maxon. I can't lose you."

"You won't." I kissed her lips gently. The beeps of the heart monitor sped up with my pulse. She started to smile against my mouth.

I chuckled airily. "That's a little embarrassing."

"I actually like it," she said, humor finally returning to her voice. She kissed me again deeply. My heart started beating so fast that I was surprised the doctors didn't think I was having a heart attack.

I held her there for a while. After delighting in her touch for a minute, I pulled her next to me on the bed, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. Without her in front of me, I had a good view of the room. It was mostly uninteresting. One thing did draw my attention, though. There was a medium-sized wrapped parcel on the bedside table.

"What's that?" I asked, pointing to the package.

America grinned and reached over to grab it. She placed the bundle in my lap.

"Happy birthday," she said. That made sense; she'd missed Alex's and my birthdays. I'd forgotten that she was bringing back presents for us.

"You didn't have to get me anything," I chided lightly despite being very excited to see what she'd gotten for me.

"Oh, just open it already," she laughed.

I tried to tear the paper, but my fingers were too weak in my drug-induced languor. America patiently helped me in opening it, earning a warm gaze in her direction.