A Nebula

"K-Kita-san?"

Bocchi turned around, confused as to why Kita had suddenly stopped walking.

"G-Gotou-san..."

Kita gripped the strap of her back, clenching her teeth as she appeared to debate with herself for a few moments. Her lips quivered before she lowered herself in a slight bow, saying:

"I... I knew that you'd thrown out the application for the culture festival!"

Her voice lowered, energy beginning to drain out of it as Kita continued.

"But... I submitted it anyway."

Her tone began to quicken, picking up as she bowed even lower.

"I'm so, so sorry that I lied!"

Kita's eyes were squeezed tight in anticipation. She expected any sort of reaction from Bocchi, whether it be anger, disappointment, or a feigned 'Oh, everything's fine'.

"Th-thank you for doing it."

Ok. Maybe she didn't expect any reaction.

"Huh?"

Kita slowly looked up, her body not quite having returned to a calm state, but as she straightened herself up, her breathing returned to normal as Bocchi's voice remained calm, soft, and almost... happy?

"I-I was pretty freaked out at first, but... now I'm kind of looking forward to it."

The pitch and tempo of Bocchi's voice began to rise as she struggled to find the words to fully express herself, but she pushed forwards anyways as Kita wordlessly listened.

"Th-that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't turned in the application."

Bocchi took a deep breath in and out before looking off to the side, her voice returning to the softer tone it was at before. Her cheeks were dotted with pink as she began to speak, looking at Kita's face.

"So.. I'm really grateful for what you did. Thank you."

Kita's eyes began to water and as all sorts of emotions welled up inside her, she couldn't contain it anymore as she rushed forward, taking Bocchi's hand, lighting up the whole street as she did.

"Gotou-san, I'm going to work even harder at practice than ever! So let's make our culture festival a success story!"

Bocchi barely registered Kita's words as her gaze flitted between her hand that was being clasped by Kita's and Kita's face before managing to get out a brief "O-ok."

Kita let go and though Bocchi could feel her touch lingering, she felt as though she had to say something more as they walked to the station together.

"B-by the way, I'll push myself too. Though I'm a little low on inspiration lately..."

Kita raised an eyebrow at this dejected look on Bocchi's face before beginning to smile and walking over to Bocchi, closing the distance between them.

"Is there any way for me to help?"

Bocchi raised an eyebrow.

"Have you written any songs before-"

Before she could finish, however, Bocchi went into a deep bow, slightly startling Kita.

"I wasn't trying to sound arrogant, I swear! Please don't-"

"I-it's fine! Just stand up, ok?"

Bocchi got back up, dusting herself off as Kita continued.