CHAPTER TWO | What is APIRomance?

APIRomance is a profile dedicated to highlighting contemporary romance stories with Asian & Pacific Islander cultural themes. Asian & Pacific Islander Romance is an emerging subgenre of romance that incorporates unique tropes and character development arcs and draws upon Asian & Pacific Islander culture to address complex societal issues and family values.

In order for a work to be considered Asian & Pacific Islander Romance, your story must contain a protagonist of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent. We want the focus of the story to be about these cultures, so we do not accept stories with Asian and/or Pacific Islander side characters or love interests.

You don't have to be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander descent to write within this genre, but it is important to ensure you are conducting enough research and seeking sensitivity readers, so that you don't cause offense to anyone who reads your work. With the right dedication, you too can create a compelling contemporary romance like A Pho Love Story or Fake Dates and Mooncakes.

Open your hearts and prepare your heartstrings as you begin your journey as an Asian & Pacific Islander Romance author!