Ep. 5.1 | Homeland Outlook

Late Morning
11th January, 1977
Republic Steel Plant, Cleveland, Ohio

Multiple cars rolled down across the area around the Steel Plant. As of today, the Republic Steel Plant in cooperation with Government's reintegration program has laid off hundreds of workers in order to maintain its function. Upon the strike and worker union's attempt to picket their employer, the Ohio Police Department had ordered many riot officers down to the stage to disperse and defend Republic's assets safely.

"You can't do this to me! I lived off the pay and get laid off without support?! It's goddamn in the middle of the fucking WINTER!"

The sound quickly sparse within the din of protest. The New Year Crisis greatly affected their jobs, followed by inflation due to consumer products shortage. Which contributed from the disruption of supply chains overnight.

It's a man confronting the Police, he was so close that they could touch noses. In gesture tributing in his speech, swaying his hands around while his mouth gasps widely. Leaning his torso forward.

---

The Mild Snow softly touches the face of him, raining down on his coat. Looking at the front, It's sizeable of workers shouting en masse. He can nothing but stand silently awaiting orders. Behind his back is a massive metallic complicate structure of steel mills. The Building shaded in the back with morning rays reflecting. He was called multiple times before and the work just began getting heavier. Civil turbulence becomes the norm and more frequent. Especially in an Industrial Area such as this place.

"Disperse Immediately! And return to your home. Or you will be the subject of arrest!"

Loudly said from the speakers, the Armed Police units nearby stood from their vehicles placed in line. After calling a reinforcement, it's rumored that the National Guard Intervention is imminent.

Despite their warning, the crowd is still intact and confronts them closely. It's a matter of time before the situation escalates. Naturally, it's in point to stand groudly as the matter depends on their livelihood. They must fight for their wage, the majority of the workers had no financial plan to deal with this before.

"MOVE!" ordered their head, Police formation began to move forward with their baton high.

Several Officers went loosely a little to down some rioters, Mainly the center of the formation to rather repent the crowd. At the side, are arrest officers. Holding their Remington 870s pointing up to rest their guns. Two groups clashed with Police chasing at a short distance. He follows suit due to his assignment at the front echelon. Slamming his baton at the unfortunate while holding it in both hands. It hardly knocked the worker in front sending him down while he tries to cover himself.

"Arck!" the worker exclaims. A grown man force easily bruises him down badly. The following momentum arrives, sending another wave of impact causing him to roll and curl his back in pain. Several officers join force and effectively neutralize him. Chaos erupted with the sound of chatter and beating.

---

At the back of the formation, far at observation distance. It's the Chief Police wearing Peaked Cap with the Mill's Manager. Two of them standing discussing regard on the event.

"This is troublesome, it's another 3rd Riot of this week already." said the Chief, twisting himself around to witness the chaos. The face of him stated his feeling which is greatly irritated. The Snow is nowhere near its end.

"We've tried policies, Chief. But we need money to run the company. We have to sacrifice the few for the many." he said, pointing out the obvious.

"I understand, I also heard that PBGC wouldn't be able to continue pension support further. Considering the sudden large amount of unemployment." the Chief added, bringing his watch up to check the time.

"The Management board probably fire me before the Qua-Toyne port even finish." he said sarcastically. It's no doubt that their stocks were also plummed. Not only the workforce is in trouble, but also the management.

Eventually, the weather got worse and later the riot dispersed at noon. No one can afford to stand there for long. The State of Ohio gets no rest as looting became rampant, under the 2nd amendment. It kickstarts the gun violence within the area, from business owners and police wise. The sound of gunshot and police sirens blared the entire night. Similar reports can be heard from California, Detroit, and New York.