Ep. 2 | Seattle Confrontation

Rewritten 6/3/2023

January 3rd, 1977
NYSE, Wall St., New York City

"Sell! Sell! Sell!"

The crowd chant.

John Freeman, A young broker who just graduated from Harvard Business School now stands idly frozen in total dumbfold. Looking down at his deal with the investors, just a few days ago they almost decided to place $20,000 into his care and was already scheduled to today. However, the New Year Incident (Transition) marked the end of his career.

"God damn it!"

He shouted in frustration, throwing the bill to the ground. The necktie flew in reaction, now he doesn't know what to do when a nation is in an economic drawback.

President Ford's announcement stampeded the Public, The Wall St. is in a big monsoon. Brokers are flooded with endless calls, they were trying to pull out from the market to reserve money as much as they can.

NYSE is crowded with brokers. Inside the building, Many shouting selling volumes all along the hall staunched to hop out of the market fast. Making their way to the booth and confronting to get their way. The spacious wooden floor is now all covered in bills scattered consistently. The hall is in chaos fueled by selling desires. Brokers looking left and right, became nervous as they had never seen the market shock this bad. All they can see is just red color painted on the board telling shares prices plumbing down every minute. 

The hourly announcement then came notifying the DJIA index fell by 20% within just 3 hours. Pent-up pressure to sell is too much to vent out in time resulting in investor panic. Majors American Industrial Stocks on average experience a sharp turn of at least 19% with the Export Sector hurt the heaviest, Airline Industry see market de-capitalization rapidly. The shock soon impacts the American Financial System as a whole with Domestic Withdrawal of Capital Funds, breaking employment.

Smaller companies in the stock market mostly were forced to shut down, As they can't withstand the sharp decline and lacked money. Their employees who are not necessary for the company's function are either fired or laid off.

To prevent further downfall, The Government intervenes. Firstly, They tried to impose halts on transactions to give them a break. But at the end of the day, delaying the crash didn't help much. President Ford who was personally against the Federal Bail-out eventually was forced to sign approval to Major Companies to keep it afloat, Keeping people employed. Though the production in unnecessary sectors stopped such as Automobiles, Luxurious Domestic, and Computer. Without cheap material import, It cost more money to convert outward trading to self-sustain.

Over just a day, America a nation that once had a massive influence descended down with a shrinking and ceased economy. The Stock Market Crash alone isn't what hurt America the most, But it's the liquidity crisis that follows after. Thanks to the Federal Bail, The necessary big businesses are able to employ people and delay the Economic Depression until the Federal Reserve is empty. They gonna have to find somewhere to trade with soon.

The National Retribution Act is then enacted where the Government will temporarily regulate and act as an intermediary to arrange the resource and production between each business counterparts, Transferring the exports and imports to fulfill each other. Ofcourse, it would be inefficient. But still better than letting them rot like a fish waiting for water.

--

Seattle Water, Washington

After the decision from the superior to strengthen US water patrol in absence of the Surface Search installations. The United States Coast Guard in Seattle Area is now tasked with temporary extra patrolling east to Montana. It's a brightful day with wind breeze at mild speed.