Chapter 2 - How to train your Ikran

Start from the beginning

"(What was that? Hmm?)" Spider looked smugly at me as if he had everything under control. I ignored him, as we were almost through the passage here.

A few seconds later we both fell onto our knees. "(Thank Eywa, we didn't fall.)"

As if someone flicked a switch every sense was overwhelmed with all the noises coming from the uncountable Ikrans pretty much next to us. Spider stood up and now standing over my sitting body gave me his hand to help me up. I took it and was vaulted to my feet by the teenager with brown eyes and blue stripes painted across his body.

We took the last few steps up a few stones ahead and now had a clear view of the entire rookery, it was enormous, to say the least.

"I thought they were more hostile from all the stories I heard..." I kind of expected at least a few of them to outright start to attack us, the first moment they would see us. On second thought, I am very happy for them not fighting us, could've had a bad ending for us.

"I agree, but it's better this way." Was the response from my traveling partner. Just what I thought.

"Want to go look around?"

"That doesn't seems safe."

"You're right since the way here didn't contain multiple spots where falling off was a risk, hmm?" He didn't like that answer for some reason and pushed me forward, closer to the Ikrans.

"(Then go and prove yourself, just like Lo'ak, idiot.)" I stood still looking over my shoulder at him. He pushed me again, enough to make me take a few steps again. The Ikran I was closest to screamed at me, spread its large leathery wings and flew away.

"(What an animal whisperer.)" He started to annoy me, so I this time pushed him to the next closest creature and it did the same to him as the previous one to me.

"(Goes both ways... we should stop bickering anyway, I don't want one of these)" I pointed around us "(to get a surprise attack on us, because we didn't focus.)" Spider nodded and we continued our little adventure. I am not paranoid, you are. I mean they do seem hostile and easily provoke able.

Luckily no one even tried attacking, like they were used to people going through here, which I highly doubt. Either way was it a wonderful experience, as you never see so many Ikrans so up close, only one or two when they land in the High Camp. But those ones don't constantly try to scare you by screaming at you

"(You want to try and fly on one?)" I jokingly asked Spider.

"(Have you gone mental, of course not?! How would you want to even achieve that?!)"

"(Well... you climb on ones back and take off, I've flown with Neteyam a few times, seems easy enough.)" I guess Spider had never seen me do so and was quite surprised.

"(You flew on one?)"

"(Yeah, that's what I said)" He seemed to have forgotten about me wanting to fly an Ikran on my own, maybe that's for the better.

"(Why have you never told me?)"

"(Who knows, hmm? Buts let's go and continue our walk but be careful.)" Spider didn't like my answer, but didn't complain and we did continue our little adventure through the herd of Ikrans, who still hissed...? At us.

Everything was fine until a little bit later.

"(Hey what's up with that one?)" I pointed at a 'Mountain Banshee' further back with a greenish color, who seemed hostile towards everything, lashing out at anything that moved into his vicinity.

"(Maybe we should turn back be-)" he didn't get to finish his sentence, as the Ikran started charging at us with a scream or hiss or whatever. Wait, why was it limping?