Chapter Twenty Seven

En başından başla

Sparing a quick glance from the road, Hero said, "One of the old drainage tunnels?"

The boy nodded. "He had to dig his way through a roof collapse to reach it. When he got to the adit, he found that the explosion had dropped the water level, so there was air. He crawled out last night, and this morning a shepherd found him."

"A miracle," Josephine said quietly.

"That's what my mother says."

There was silence for a time. Then Hero asked, "How will the families of the men who died manage?"

"There are two friendly societies," Josephine replied. "People put in a bit each week, so there's money to help those who fall on hard times."

"So many deaths will put a strain on the societies," he said. "Do you think that anyone's stubborn Welsh pride would be offended if I made contributions?"

"I'm sure no one will object."

When they reached the Morrises' cottage, Hero asked Trevor to walk the curricle back and forth to cool the horses, a task the boy accepted with alacrity.

The cottage door was opened by Marge. The circles under her eyes were insignificant next to the joy of her smile. Josephine went straight into her friend's arms and they had a good cry together. When they were coherent again, they all went inside, where Marge insisted on serving them tea and currant buns.

Voice low so as not to wake Owen, Marge repeated what Trevor had said. "And there's more good news," she added. "Two more men were found alive in an air pocket." She gave the names; Josephine had taught children of both men.

Marge continued, "They say there are going to be changes at the pit. Apparently, Lord Michael Kenyon wasn't satisfied with what he's found, and he's taking over direct management."

Hero's gaze sharpened. "What about Madoc?"

Marge smiled with deep satisfaction. "His lordship hasn't said a word against Madoc in public, but that doesn't disguise the fact that for all practical purposes, Madoc has become an overseer, only there to carry out the owner's orders. They say Madoc's furious, but he daren't complain or he might lose his fancy salary and house."

After swallowing a bite of currant bun, she said, "His lordship has put all the men to improving the shoring in the shafts that survived. They say he's also ordering a new Watts steam pump and a winding engine so that the men won't have to ride up and down on that dreadful rope like a bunch of grapes."

"Thank heaven!" Josephine said fervently. "It sounds as if everything necessary will be done. With luck, the mine will never have such a disaster again."

"Michael seems to be picking up where he left off four years ago," Hero agreed. Looking at his hostess, he said, "Marge, if Owen is awake, might I talk to him?"

"I'll go see." She went to check on her husband, then returned and said, "He's awake, and he'd like to see you."

"I suppose it would be too much for him to see me as well," Josephine said. "Marge, will you join me in offering a prayer of thanks?"

Marge cocked her head curiously. "I never thought you resembled your father, but for a moment, you looked just like him. Thank you for reminding me that it's time for a prayer. I've been at sixes and sevens ever since they brought Owen home."

Hero