"Do you even love him?"

November 12th, 2020                                                              

8:29 AM

Nobody compares to my mother. That's probably a terrible way to start off, but without her I'm nothing. She's my inspiration, my role model. Sure, Brent got me into the whole YouTube thing, but my mom gave me that extra push. There is one thing I will never forget her saying, "every girl has a Ken, and every boy has their Barbie. Nobody is made for each other more than Ken and Barbie." I don't know if it was this need to impress or be the picture perfect daughter, but I looked for my Ken, I really did. 

Picture this, the perfect blonde hair, blue eyed boy, with a clean reputation and sweetest personality. The girl has long, pin straight dirty blonde hair, green eyes, is a gymnast, and both grew up living the most idealistic American suburban life. Even better, he is her brother's best friend. I am that girl, and Ben is that guy. There's no denying, I found my Ken. But is it Ken that I really want?

Jeez, I just dumped a lot of info on you at one time. Let's back up; what is the point of this whole diary anyway? My therapist thinks I need to evolve, that I've been stuck settling for safe and trying to live up to the expectations of others. That I need to take more risks, and be ok with my (plethora of) imperfections. I mean- he isn't wrong, he just doesn't have to be so harsh. I'm supposed to write the entire day's events, with as much detail as possible and what I was feeling and thinking in that moment. He'll analyze my entries to see a change in my perspective or attitude. 

I don't really know what he's hoping to achieve, but how much can a person really change? I doubt I would change enough for it to be noticeable in my writing. 

Anyways, I woke up pretty late this morning

Anyways, I woke up pretty late this morning. Ben had a whole romantic date for us at Nobu and we stayed up late watching movies. I really appreciated the gesture, but didn't realy enjoy it.

 "Brent! Why is your camera in my face?" I ask my older brother. He's 2 and a half years older than me but still acts like a child.

 "Uh, recording memories," he replies hesitantly, "Jeez Lex, your breath stinks. Maybe you should go brush your teeth."

He started snickering behind me as I cautiously made my way to the washroom. I turn on the lights and see my emerald green eyes staring back at me. But above them, my eyebrows are an orange bleached colour. Obviously, I scream. Ben and I have a breakfast date in an hour, and I hadn't even started my makeup yet.

Crap, my hair's gonna take forever

Across the hall, I could hear Brent laughing and running downstairs. "Mom! I told you her reaction would be priceless!"

I angrily stomp downstairs just to see Brent replaying the footage for Mom to see. "You know this isn't funny! Ben's gonna be here in an hour!" I yell.