[ 𝟏𝟏 ]

Giselle, Winter, and I were gathered at a stall full of snacks. I had barely seen them this summer since they were busy visiting family. It felt nice meeting and hanging out with close friends

"How are your guitar lessons, Mingxia?" Winter asked.

"They're okay, I've learned quite a few songs so far," I replied.

"Wow, did you like, skip the basics or something?" Giselle asked.

"Nah, I learned the basics when I was little. I never picked up the guitar after and totally forgot that I knew how to play it a little. It's only till my 3rd class it all came back to me."

"That sounds cool," Winter threw a thumbs-up.

"Did the teacher just let you move ahead of the class?" Giselle asked.

I shook my head and swallowed another bite of lunch.

"The teacher doesn't even come to the class," I said. "It's like, he came to the first two classes and then disappeared."

A surprised expression was displayed on both of their faces.

"It's kind of self-paced I guess you could say."

"So you just pay the teacher when he doesn't even teach you guys anything?" Winter exclaimed.

"No, the classes are free."

"Didn't you say that there were 3rd graders or 5th graders in your class? If the teacher isn't there, who supervises them? Do they just run around like the wild creatures they are? '' Giselle questioned.

"Well, there is a person who volunteers to supervise them. His class's teacher assigns his students different things actually. Some kids supervise classes, some help clean out the building. In return, they get volunteer hours to graduate high school."

Giselle and Winter nodded and continued to eat.

"The volunteer in my class is chill. His name is Xiao Dejun and he's in high school like us."

"Oooh, tell us more," Giselle wiggled her eyebrows.

"Well, he has brown hair and brown eyes. We're friends and we also volunteered at the animal shelter the other day. He excels at playing the guitar."

Unconsciously, I twirled my hair between my fingers.

"He's kind of cute too. Like, he writes his own songs and aspires to be a singer."

Giselle and Winter smirked at each other and then looked at me.

"Do you have a crush on him, Mingxia?" Winter asked.

"Well, uh-" I said.

"Don't deny it this time, Minnie. We know you too well," Giselle stated.

"I wasn't going to deny it," I explained. "I was just thinking of the right words."

I gazed out of the window at the navy blue night sky and the shimmering stars.

"I like him."

"You should tell him then," Giselle suggested.

"Uh, no thanks. I think I'll keep these feelings to myself. After all, I don't want history to repeat itself."