[ 𝟖 ]

I carefully gathered all my belongings, including my backpack and guitar case. Over the summer, I decided to pick up a new hobby because I was getting super bored. So I decided to learn an instrument. Why guitar? I don't know, it seemed fun.

I walked out of the classroom and headed to the front gate of the building. As usual, I waved to the man at the front desk. His name was Mr. Moon though he preferred to be called Taeil.

I chose the guitar for the most random reason: I like to imagine myself in a KDrama playing romantic songs while I fall in love.

Before I opened the door, I noticed that it was raining outside. Not just a few droplets were falling out of the sky, but thousands of them simultaneously.

Sometimes, it amazes me how fast the weather can change in two hours.

I retrieved a clear umbrella from my bag and stepped out. The sound of rain put my heart at ease. Kids hurried out of the door and headed to the cars lined up and parents who had come to pick them up. After a while, the area was clear and all of the kids had disappeared. The rain continued to hit the concrete and bounce off.

A brown-haired boy with a backpack and guitar case stood near me with his umbrella open. He gazed away in the cloudy sky as if deep in thought. The boy turned around to look at me and smiled. I turned away immediately, not wanting to get caught staring at a strange. I saw him walk up and stand next to me from the corner of my eye.

"You're the girl from class today, the one who needed to get her guitar tuned?"

It surprised me how smooth his voice sounded, like a nightingale sitting on a tree branch and gazing out at the moon.

"Yes, and you were substituting for the teacher?"

The boy nodded quietly and turned his head upwards at the sky.

"How long have you been playing the guitar?"

"Ever since I was 6," he replied, "What about you?"

"Oh, I just started learning a couple of weeks ago."

"Ah, makes sense."

A few moments passed in silence until he spoke up.

"What do you think of the rain?"

"I think it's delicate and soothing. Every time it rains, it makes me want to toss my umbrella away and run to dance under the stormy sky."

I glanced at him for his answer.

"I see," he paused. "Sometimes, the rain makes me feel sad. Like the sky got its heartbroken so it's spilling all its tears down on Earth."

"Well, if it's that way, at least we're here to comfort the sky. I hope the sky gets its heart healed soon."

The boy smiled.

"I like your way of thinking," he commented. "Positivity can get someone a long way."

"Thanks. So can thoughtfulness."

A dark grey car drove in front of the building. The window rolled down as my mom waved to me. I waved back and carried my things over to the car.

"Who is that?" My mother asked while pointing at the person I had just been talking to. "Shouldn't you go say bye to him?"

"Yeah, you're right."

I hurried over to the boy, making sure not to slip in the heavy rain.

"Is that your mom?" he asked.

"Yeah, I'll be going now. See you...next week?"

"I usually volunteer on Fridays so I might be at your class on Friday."

"Yeah, okay, bye!" I started walking back to the car.

"Wait! You never told me your name," he called out.

I stopped, spun around, and yelled over the sound of the pattering rain.

"Mingxia. Wang Mingxia. What's yours?"

"Xiao Dejun. But I go by Dejun."

Once I was back in the car, I rolled down the window. We exchanged smiles as I drove away from the building.

The rain slowly calmed down as the shining sun revealed between the white clouds. A huge rainbow appeared in the sky.