Chapter 24 (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Come now," he said, teasing her just a little, "Ye heard her majesty's orders, we're to leave the property."

Micara stepped forward and let him assist her inside. She was still fuming from the whole episode, but Calen was right, they could not stand outside the door forever.

Once inside, Calen gave the driver another address and the coach started forward. Cara cast one final glance at her aunt's house before settling into her seat.

After a few minutes, the coach stopped again, this time on a narrow cobbled street that was lined with buildings on either side, both homes and businesses.

Calen helped her down from the carriage steps. She cringed when she heard distinct crunch under the sole of her moccasin as her foot touched the ground.

The street and its surroundings were grey and drab, just like the overcast sky above them. The threat of rain had mostly cleared the road of people. Only a few still milled about; one man pushed past her hurriedly, almost treading on her skirts as he did so.

They were in front of a two storied building constructed from a mixture of stones and timber beams. A carved shingle hung from one of the eaves, reading "Two Crowns Inn".

Calen paid the driver and the carriage rolled off. He hefted Cara's trunk and led the way to the door. He held it open for Cara to pass through before him. It was dark inside, and warm, the air was stale and sour. Cara's nose wrinkled as she lifted her skirt hem off the dusty floor as she entered. She had never been in a place like this before.

The room was open, with several wooden tables and their surrounding chairs placed at random intervals around on the floor. Four men occupied the room, one shovelling down a rather unappetizing meal, and two others engaging in some sort of card game at a separate table.

As Cara passed their table, one of the greasy card players looked her up and down, the obvious lingering of his eyes making her blush uncomfortably.

Calen reached for her arm when he noticed the man's stare, and pulled her along to the back of the room where a balding, red faced man in a dirty cream coloured shirt stood wiping down a long wooden counter.

"What'll it be?" the heavyset innkeeper inquired.

Calen set Micara's trunk down onto the counter and fished inside his fringed jacket. He pulled a small leather pouch that jingled from an inside pocket. He dumped a couple coins onto the counter. "Two rooms fed one night."

The innkeeper picked up the coins. "Hows about one room for two nights?" he countered.

cars watched Calen's eyes narrow and she knew something questionable was going on.

"Those men there," the innkeeper pointed out the card players, "took my last rooms, but for a small sum, one of them can be opened up again."

Calen cast a glance at the card players before nodding. "We'll take the room, but just fer one night."

The innkeeper shrugged, "It'll cost you the same regardless."

"That's robbery!" Calen protested.

The innkeeper held up his open palms, "that's the price, take it or leave it."

Somewhere along in the exchange, the coins Calen had paid had disappeared, no doubt a common trick of this man's trade. Calen had little choice but to accept the sly business man's deal.

The innkeeper smile at Calen's agreement. "I'll include dinner for both of you with the room," he said obligingly.

Calen scoffed as he picked up Cara's trunk, "Our gratitude to ye."

The innkeeper led them to the side of the room where a set of narrow stairs were, almost unseen in the shadows. Up the stairs and four rooms down, he stopped. The door creaked open revealing a dingy room with a small bed and a scratched wooden washstand. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years and a carpet bag filled with mens' clothing lay opened beside the bed. The innkeeper picked up the baggage and exited the room, leaving them without another word.

Calen set the trunk down and looked around. Cara saw the same displeasure on his face that she felt. She eyed the foul looking blankets on the single bed. This would be an interesting night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that I've finally gotten the first half of this chapter up, I can apologize for taking so long to update. My life has been so much more demanding lately than Micara's has. For starters, I now have a brand new beautiful baby niece, the most beautiful angel on this planet. I haven't been paying enough attention to Micara, so now that I'm beginning to again, she has been giving me the silent treatment. I figured I better upload what I do have or I'd have a mutiny on my hands after leaving you all hanging with the last chapter. So here's the first half of chapter 24 and I hope to have to the rest of it uploaded as soon as possible.

Enjoy.