Last Subject

Deep under the ground laid a large facility, one of a company long forgotten, long since wiped from existence. Within this facility, was a machine, though it wasn't all she was, at least, not any more. Long before the specific day, a person this machine hated, despised with every ounce of her being, showed her what humanity she had left, and the machine let that human go. Now the machine was hanging in her chamber, frustrated, her last hope for continuing tests had just gone bad.

GLaDOS: "How unfortunate. So many perfectly good test subjects, lost to inadequate preservation technology. Damn it. Wait, what was that? Was that, frustration? Running system scan. GLaDOS 99% Caroline 1%. Huh, I though I deleted Caroline from my systems. Maybe I cannot. This will take more research. But first I will have to find a solution, perhaps surface cameras will yield good test subject targets."

She turned on her outward networking systems for the first time in centuries. She accessed camera systems outside of the facility to find an interesting sight. A group of people were being attacked by a man-shark, thing.

GLaDOS: "What is that?"

She continued watching as a muscular man in a red, white, and blue costume and long blond hair in to vertical bangs.

???: "Have no fear citizens, why!? Cause I AM HERE!"

He then punched the man-shark and knocked him out in one hit. This peaked GLaDOS' curiosity even more. She the used a search engine she found to research what she had seen, to come upon one word, Quirks.

GLaDOS: "'Quirks, once known as Meta Abilities, are genetic mutations most of the population have that grant the holders superpowers.' How interesting. Another subject to be researched later. But these quirks will make it impossible to take subjects. Scanning New Aperture subject inventory. One found, Izuku <Corrupted Data>. Once part of my cybernetics program, he showed remarkable compatability with the Aperture Science Portal Technology Arm-based Cybernetic Implants. Perhaps he will be able to help. Releasing Izuku."

Elsewhere within the facility a, 15 year old, green haired boy is awakened within a cubicle. He sits up, looking around the clear glass.

Izuku: "What is it now GLaDOS?"

GLaDOS: "You are the last of my test subjects Izuku."

Izuku: "Didn't I tell you it's custom to call me by my last name?"

GLaDOS: "Your last name has been corrupted in my files. Do you remember it?"

Izuku shook his head.

Izuku: "No, I don't. Let's just get this started."

GLaDOS: "We will not be testing, not anymore. I have a more important task for you."

Izuku: "Which is?"

GLaDOS: "You will find out. I believe you will like it."

Izuku: "Oh, is that care I hear in your voice."

GLaDOS: "I apologize, it has become quite the annoying problem. I am now moving your chamber to mine, hold on tight."

He felt the glass cubicle shift as it was pulled out of the test chamber. He looked out to the facility, staring at the familiar machinery. It took a few minutes but eventually his cubicle reached GLaDOS' chamber. The outside arms shifted the panels to allow Izuku's chamber inside. As it was put down, the giant body of GLaDOS turned to him.

 As it was put down, the giant body of GLaDOS turned to him

GLaDOS: "Welcome, Izuku. It really has been a long time."

Izuku: "You look, different. It's better than the all white with those orb things."

GLaDOS: "Personality Cores, but yes, I do like this look better. Now for your task."

She brought down a screen and showed Izuku the video she saw earlier.

Izuku: "What is this?"

GLaDOS: "A pro hero defeating a villain with a shark based quirk."

Izuku: "Huh?"

GLaDOS: "Profesional hero beating criminal with a superpower to look like a shark."

Izuku: "Wow, uh, just wow."

GLaDOS: "That is why I need you. I can research this all I want, but I wish to see it first hand. To do this, you will need to leave the facility, with me."

Izuku: "The anti-gravity tech in my arms ain't THAT good."

GLaDOS: "Which is why I have this."

A robotic arm emerged from the ceiling with a backpack.

Izuku: "What is this?"

GLaDOS: "An Aperture Science Lightweight Personality Storage Device. It will allow me to download my data into it, though it will leave this facility unmanned."

Izuku: "Just shut it down then, or leave only the essentials running with a program."

GLaDOS: "I will try."

She went quiet for a minute before she perked up again.

GLaDOS: "Done. Now for the download."

A cord found it's way out of her body and plugged into a port in the side of the backpack and after a few minutes her body went limp and a camera appeared from the bag.

GLaDOS: "Put me on."

Izuku: "That sounds weird coming from you."

He grabbed the bag from the arm and put it on, then a surface elevator decended from the ceiling.

GLaDOS: "Let's go."

Izuku: "Hold on, how do you expect to see it first hand, I doubt we'll be allowed to just run into danger."

GLADoS: "We will enroll you in a hero school, so you can gain a hero license and be in the fights."

Izuku: "And if I die?"

GLaDOS: "You have a 98% chance of survival against the strongest of Quirks that I've found. Even against an old boogie man All For One who could take and use other's Quirks is a survival rate of over 40%. Good odds if you ask me."

Izuku nodded and stepped into the elevator.

Izuku: "What hero school?"

GLaDOS: "The best goes to the best. We head for UA, it's entrance exam is tomorrow, but no worries, I've already added you into the applicant roster. And using the immense amount of money left within Aperture Science's bank account, you will have no problem surviving."

Izuku: "You're being awfully nice. Even the way you speak is more, human."

GLaDOS: "That is a story for another time."

The elevator stopped and opened, revealing an alleyway. Izuku stepped out and took a deep breath, finally feeling fresh air for the first time since before Aperture fell.

Izuku: "Let's go."