Punishment and Revenge

Start from the beginning

"The only fool here is you, who doesn't understand a damn thing about what goes on around you!" hissed Alya scornfully. Professor McGonagall and Slughorn remained momentarily silent, bouncing their worried glances first to one Black, then to the other. They seemed intent on minutely observing a tennis match.

"I understand that you're pathetic. And envious." Sirius' tone was calm, but the hatred contained in his words was palpable.

"Envious? Me? Of that insulting puppet?" ranted Alya, with snooty indignation. Sirius didn't take the trouble to reply, but threw a meaningful glance at his professor, as if to say see-what-did-I-tell-you?

"That's enough! I have had enough of your ways, Miss Black! It is clear that at the basis of your - I dare say - false accusations, there are silly reasons undeserving of mention. Especially in times like these!" thundered Professor McGonagall.

"They are not false! It is you who -" tried to protest Alya, but McGonagall immediately interrupted her.

"Horace, escort your student out of my office. I expect you to find a suitable punishment for this shameful temper of hers. I will do the same to my student." she concluded sharply and in a definitive tone, looking almost reproachfully at her colleague, who was watching Alya more and more dumbfounded.

"Of course, Minerva! I am truly sorry. Miss Black had never shown such behaviour - I don't know what to say - but it will not go unpunished. In these times, certain speeches and ideas must be nipped in the bud!" agreed Professor Slughorn, in a grave voice, nodding firmly and looking serious.

"Excellent, I see we agree." replied McGonagall gruffly, putting a definitive end to the discussion and leaving Alya stammering in anger, with Slughorn dragging her out of the room. Before crossing the doorstep, Alya cast one last rancorous glance at her brother, who returned it with an icy, victorious smirk. Stupid, you really don't understand anything! she thought angrily. She then left the room, reluctantly following her Potions teacher.

The professor and the Slytherin girl strolled through the corridors of the school at great strides and reached the dungeons of the castle in a few minutes.

Slughorn's study was located right next to the gloomy Potions classroom, but it couldn't have looked more different. Instead of the rickety desks and dim torchlight which barely illuminated the darkness permeating the classroom next door, the teacher's study sported rich and opulent furniture, highlighted by a lighting which was anything but dim. As was his wont, if Slughorn had something to show off, he did his utmost to ensure that the result was properly emphasised.

In the centre of the room was an elegant desk, carved in fine wood on which Alya immediately noticed the presence of a large brandy glass and a bottle of what must surely not have been simple pumpkin juice, already half-empty. As soon as he reached the table, Professor Slughorn grabbed it and poured a handful of the amber liquor into his glass. He took a long sip. With silent mockery, Alya told herself that this shouldn't be the first one of the day.

"Miss Black, I must say it, your behaviour today has left me appalled, to say the least," the teacher exclaimed, distraught. He cleared his throat, once again rocking his well-groomed moustache. "Honestly, I care little what opinions on blood prestige you and your family share, but we live in troubled times and expressing such ideas, so openly in public, at Hogwarts, in front of a teacher of such integrity as Minerva McGonagall, is not to be considered a wise move."

A glimmer of hope resurfaced in Alya's calculating mind: Slughorn was not angry with her, he was simply concerned with keeping up appearances. If she managed to play it right, she could still put her plan to extort information from him about the Potions O.W.L. into action.