4. Nightmares

POV:GRACE

...Eighteen year old Steve held four year old me after the funeral. I was half asleep, my arms wrapped around his neck and my head buried into his shoulder. It had been a long day for both of us.

"We looked for you two after." I cracked my eyes open to see Bucky standing behind Steve and I as we walked up the steps. He offered me a small smile and I closed my eyes again. "My folks wanted to give you guys a ride to the cemetery."

"I know, I'm sorry," Steve told his best friend, rubbing my back gently. "We just kind of wanted to be with each other right now. Right, Gracie?"

I said nothing back, too tired and sad to speak. I hadn't said a word since our mother died. I had never been so quiet, and it scared Steve.

"How was it?" Bucky was referring to the funeral. 

"It was ok. She's next to dad." I hugged my brother tighter.

"I was gonna ask-"

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck, its just-" Steve walked up to the door and checked his pockets for the keys. They weren't there. "Did you take the keys?" He asked me. I shook my head. I had a bad habit of taking his keys and chewing on them. Steve always got them back before I hurt myself on them.

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids." Bucky watched as my brother checked his other pockets for the keys. "It'll be fun." My head perked  up a little at the mention of fun. Everyone (including myself) had been so sad. "All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out the trash."

Bucky turned around and moved a brick with his foot, exposing the house key. He bent down and picked it up. "Come on," he said, handing Steve the key.

"Thank you, Buck." Steve looked at his best friend, who had been there all through my life. "But we can get by on our own."

"The thing is, you guys don't have to." He grabbed the shoulder my head wasn't resting on. "I'm with you till the end of the line, pal. You too, Gracie."  We both smiled at Bucky.

That night, I fell asleep on the living room floor, between Bucky and Steve. True to his word, we pulled the couch cushions out and slept on them...

..."War continues to ravage Europe." Steve and I sat down in the movie theater, him upset because he had been denied to go to war, again, and me because he tried to enlist again. "But help is on the way." I had barely talked to my brother when he got home and laid the form on the kitchen table. He suggested they watch a movie, and Grace had simply followed glaring at him, and glaring even more when he grabbed the form. He had tried to abandon me again.

"Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part, collecting scrap metal." Why couldn't Steve do that? It was safe, would keep us close, and helped with war efforts. "Nice work, Timmy!" Could be nice work Steve, I had thought.

"Who cares?" I rolled my eyes at the man, not giving him the satisfaction of saying something. There were men dying and this man just wanted to watch a stupid movie. My thoughts went to Bucky who was getting assigned soon. How he could die. How Steve wanted to die for his country. How- as selfish as it sounded- I wanted at least one of my brothers to live through the way. "Play the movie!" The man continued.

"Hey, wanna show some respect?" Steve whispered to they guy in front of us. Even if I was mad at him, I had to agree.

"Meanwhile overseas," the announcer continued, "Our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price of freedom is never too high."