Chapter 18

It was Saturday night, and a throng of people bustled about outside of the beautifully lit Sumira Opera House. Curt, Autumn, and Mark stood in line, waiting to enter the building. As they waited to be admitted, Curt remarked that the vast majority of the people attending the opera appeared to be members of the high-class society. Mark affirmed this observation with a nod. Eventually, the three friends made it inside the opera house and found their seats.

"The box seat up there on our right is where Hamilton should be sitting. It's the owner's box," Mark noted.

"Hamilton owns the opera house?" Curt asked.

"Apparently he owns the opera house and a lot of other things here in Sumira," Mark replied.

Curt and Autumn began to discuss the night's program and the beauty of the building, while Mark kept his eyes peeled on the owner's box. Suddenly, Curt felt an elbow in his shoulder.

"That must be him," whispered Mark.

Curt looked up into the owner's box and saw a man and two women sit down together. It was quite a distance away, so neither Curt nor Mark was able to discern the man's appearance very well. A few moments later, the orchestra began to play the overture, and everyone settled in to enjoy the opera.

Nearly an hour went by before the time for intermission arrived. Mark watched as Hamilton and the women rose from their seats and left the box. Mark then nudged Curt again and motioned toward the lobby with his head. Autumn and Curt followed Mark out into the lobby, which had become crowded with people who were now talking, drinking wine, or making their way to the restroom.

Mark quickly scanned the large hall for any sign of Hamilton. A few seconds later, he saw Hamilton walk into the far side of the room with a woman on each arm. Mark slowly made his way toward Hamilton. Curt and Autumn began to follow when suddenly Autumn heard someone call her name, and she stopped to look around. A young man waved and pranced over to where Autumn and Curt stood.

"Autumn! It is you, isn't it?" the young man asked, smiling.

"Yes..." Autumn answered hesitantly.

"Chase...Chase Penfield. We were classmates in grade school!" The young man beamed brighter than the sun, and it made Curt a bit uneasy.

"Chase! Yes, I remember now," Autumn returned.

Autumn went on to introduce Curt as one of her friends, and then she and Chase began to reminisce about their childhood. Eventually, a chime sounded, and everyone began to move back into the theatre.

"Listen, before you go back inside, I want to invite you both to a masquerade ball that is going to be thrown by my friend, Hamilton, in honor of Sumira's 50th anniversary," Chase said.

"That would be quite an honor. Thank you," Curt replied.

"Here are the invitations," Chase said as he pulled out two envelopes and handed them to Autumn.

"Thank you, Chase. I guess we'll see you again soon," Autumn said with a smile.

"I hope so," Chase returned.

Chase made a slight bow and walked away. As Curt and Autumn began to walk back into the theatre, Curt looked around the lobby but could see no sign of Mark.

"I don't know where Mark went off to," Curt noted.

"Perhaps he's already back inside," Autumn suggested.

The two friends returned to their seats to find Mark's seat empty. Curt looked up into the owner's box and saw Hamilton sitting once again with his female companions. Curt wondered for a moment where Mark might be, but then he turned his attention back to the opera. Another hour went by and the opera ended without any sign of Mark. Curt and Autumn left the theatre and looked around for Mark, but they could not find him. Curt suggested that they return to the inn, and Autumn agreed. Once back at the inn, Curt told Paul what had happened. Paul shared Curt's concern for Mark, and they agreed that they would return to the opera house to look for Mark. Curt asked Autumn to wait at the inn just in case Mark returned, and then he and Paul left.