"Focus," Wednesday said.

Honestly she couldn't tell who was more easily distracted; her or Erix.

"What do we have here?" she turned at the sound of Bianca's voice. "The runt of the litter."

"For the record, I don't believe I'm better than everyone else. Just that I'm better than you."

"I want to welcome you all to the Edgar Allan Poe Cup!" Principal Weems announced. "This is one of Nevermore's proudest annual traditions, dating back 125 years. Each team must row across to Raven Island, pull a flag from Crackstone's Crypt, and hustle back without sinking or being sunk. First team to cross the finish line with their flag wins the cup and bragging rights for a year, as well as some special privileges. Let the Poe Cup begin!"

As the race started students began cheering on each of their "teams". The jesters rowed closer and closer to them.

"Oh, excuse us!" Xavier called.

The jokers' boat knocked into theirs forcing them behind. Soon they were next to another team.

"Stroke! Stroke! Stroke!"

She heard a lever clack. The ax from the side of their boat switched up and swung at them. Her and her teammates ducked, momentarily pausing rowing until the ax retracted again.

She locked eyes with Erix who stood on one of the docks. She nodded and he nodded back before diving into the water.

"What's the plan again?" Enid asked.

"You'll see," Wednesday said.

"Come on! Go!"

"Come on!"

Shortly after their boat shook. The rowers looked down, checking the water for what could've caused it.

"It's smoking!" one of them shouted.

Just as they said the bottom of their boat started smoking. Enid tried to fight a smile and she could feel the edge of her lips quirk up slightly.

"Get out, get out!"

The moment they jumped overboard their boat went up in flames.

Unsurprisingly she saw something in the water. Wednesday put her oars down and picked up her telescope. It was quick and she could understand why nobody else had noticed in the past but a tail sunk down into the water.

"Faster!"

"Thing," Wednesday said.

He flicked one of the levers on the floor of the boat and she heard the hatch open.

They finally got to Raven Island to find the jokers' boat already there. She got out of the boat and Enid went to follow.

"Stay here and make sure Bianca can't sabotage our boat." Enid nodded. Wednesday turned and ran toward where the flags were.

Xavier and his teammate were running past her once she got to the flags.

"Later Wednesday!"

As she grabbed the Black Cats flag and touched the stone of Crackstone's Crypt a vision came to her.

"You are the key."

"Taking a catnap?" she woke to hear Bianca's taunting.

She and her teammate laughed and ran back to shore. Wednesday jumped back into action and grabbed the flag before running back.

"Come on!"

"Hurry up, we have to go!"

She jumped in the boat and started to row along with the others. She could see the Jokers boat starting to sink as they passed them.

Enid laughed. "See ya, jokers!"

"Cheaters!"

"I just asked myself, 'WWWD?'" Enid said. "What Would Wednesday Do?"

"Come on. Come on. Come on. Come on."

Wednesday leaned down and pulled the second lever. Spears shot out from the side of the boat. They rowed closer to the Gold Bugs but as they were about to collide their boat got pushed back.

The siren.

They were nearing one of the buoys and were going to meet the same sunken fate as their opponents. Thing crawled up on the seat next to Wednesday and jumped into the water. A moment later the pushing stopped and they had regained control of their boat.

They rowed closer to the Gold Bugs again driving the spears into the side of their boat.

"Gotcha!" Enid exclaimed.

Immediately once they docked she and Enid jumped out of the boat followed shortly by the others. They held the flag together and ran to the finish line.

"Whoo!" Enid cheered. "Yeah, we did it!"

Erix threw his arms around them. Wednesday was surprised to find him completely dry.

"Woo you guys did it!" he cheered. "That was so cathartic, did you see how high those flames went?"

He and Enid jumped and cheered with each other before turning to her.

"OMG, Wednesday, we did it! This is the greatest moment of my entire life. Admit it, you kinda got into the whole school spirit thing."

"Yeah you were awesome Wends!"

"You didn't tell me it was a dark, vengeful spirit."

"Well then let me be the first to inform you that it is."

"The first Poe Cup took place in 1897 as a way to not only honor Nevermore's most famous alumni, but to celebrate those values that all outcasts share. Community, perseverance, and determination. And we certainly saw those values on display today. Congratulations to Ophelia Hall! As a former resident, I will be happy to see the cup back on the mantle after all these years."
_________________

I hated writing this :)

very little erix/wednesday interactions but I wanted to involve him in the poe cup somehow