Chapter 87

Author Note: this is another dual pov chapter!! hope you enjoy it! 

TESSA'S POV: 

The drive to the hospital was quiet, and although I had hoped to clear my mind, it only made me go over and over everything, obsessing over the small details. There has to be something that I can do. 

Now I'm standing in front of my locker, closing the door. I can't allow myself to get distracted by all of this. I walk out, taking a deep breath. I can't think about him now. 

Just as I'm about to start working, I hear someone calling my name "Dr Miller!" The voice is loud and authoritative, so I turn around. 

It's Ms Goodwin, calling me over from across the room. I walk over to her, feeling slightly nervous. What does she want? Why is she calling me over? 

"Ms Goodwin," I say, as I reach where she is standing. "You called me over?" 

"Dr Miller, perfect," she says. "You have to keep this quiet, but we have quite a high-profile patient with us today." 

I breathe a small sigh of relief. "Right," I say, nodding eagerly. I'm still not too sure where I fit into all of this. "Okay." 

"I've been looking over everyone's performance recently, and you've been a credit to this hospital. I've decided to choose you to attend to this patient," she explains, smiling. "This is a very good thing, Tessa." 

"Thank you," I say, stunned. "Me? Really, are you sure? Thank you for this." I don't know who the high-profile patient is, but I'm eager to meet them. 

"I'm sure," she says, nodding. "You'll do great. I do have to mention, the patient is coming here for heart surgery, so you'll be joined by someone else." 

Heart surgery? There's no way it could be...right? 

"Who is it?" I ask her, as she leads me up to the patient's private room. 

"Dr Rhodes," Ms Goodwin tells me, casually. "He was the one who recommended you for this, when I spoke to him about it a while ago." 

"Really?" I say, failing to hide my surprise. I doubt he would say the same thing about me now. 

"Yes," she says, nodding. "He did. I followed his advice, and here you are." She smiles warmly, and I have to match her enthusiasm. 

"Wow...well, uh- that's...that's great..." I say, stumbling over the words. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. 

"Dr Miller," she says, a firm edge to her voice. "You don't have to be embarrassed, I know what the situation is between you and Dr Rhodes." 

"The...situation?" I echo, uneasily. I know what she's talking about, but I don't know how much she knows about it all. 

"Yes," she says. "I know about the two of you." She smiles a knowing smile at me. 

I smile back, although all I want to do is leave. I wanted to avoid him, not be pulled together with him. Of course this had to happen to me. 

CONNOR'S POV: 

As I walk out into the hallway, I take a deep breath. I can't think about Tessa, or the huge mess that has somehow blown out of proportion. I can't allow myself to get distracted, because that's how mistakes are made, and that can't happen. 

As I start to walk, I see Ms Goodwin, rushing towards me. "Ah, there you are!" she says, seeming slightly out of breath. 

"Ms Goodwin?" I say, confused. "I didn't know you were looking for me." 

"Of course I was," she insists, letting out a small sigh. "Come on, follow me." 

"Uh- where are we going?" I ask. Ms Goodwin seems to think that I should know, but I don't. 

"Remember that high-profile patient who was coming in for that heart surgery?" she reminds me, walking quickly.

"Right, yes," I say, nodding. I do remember, but I had no idea that was today. I guess have been distracted lately. 

"I'm going to take you to his room," Ms Goodwin tells me. "Dr Miller is already there, waiting..."

I don't hear the rest of the sentence, because I'm focused on what she just said. Dr Miller?  As in...Tessa?

I had been meaning to distract myself from her, and us and everything. This was the opposite of what I needed. 

"Dr Miller," I repeat, making sure that I heard it correctly. "Right." 

"Yes," Ms Goodwin confirms. "You recommended her for this, remember?" 

I had completely forgotten about that. "I remember," I say, nodding. 

"Perfect," she says, smiling. "We should hurry. We don't want to keep Dr Miller waiting." 

"Of course not," I say, increasing my walking pace, to match hers. 

I can't help but think about Tessa, now. How does she feel about this? Does she even know that I'm working with her? Given her outburst earlier, I don't know how thrilled she would be. 

I don't know how I feel about it, either. I'm not exactly annoyed by it, but I'm not exactly ecstatic, either. I just don't know. 

"Yes?" Ms Goodwin asks, loudly, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Did you get that, Dr Rhodes? It seemed like you just zoned out for a moment there." 

"No, no, I got it," I say, lying. I wasn't listening to what she said, but I don't want to admit that I was distracted. "I'm fine, not distracted." 

"Good," Ms Goodwin says, approvingly. "We're here, this is the room that the patient is staying in, the best private room in the hospital." 

"Where's Dr Miller?" I ask, looking around. I don't see Tessa anywhere. I really hope that she didn't just leave as soon as she found out that she had to work with me. 

"She should be here..." Ms Goodwin says, also looking around. "That's strange. I just left her here." 

It looks like I was right. I get that she's mad at me, but walking off on a high-profile patient because she didn't want to work with me is just unprofessional. I didn't expect that from her. 

"I'll see if I can track her down," Ms Goodwin says. "Stay there, and don't go anywhere!" 

"I won't," I say, as she walks away quickly in the other direction.