Chapter 29

Author Note: another shorter one, sorry!! I really didn't expect to be this busy! The longer ones will start again soon <3 

I walk into the hospital, feeling different this time. I am filled with a strange hope, but also caution. 

Connor will have spoken to Ava and told her everything. What if she links it to me? What if he just tells her that we kissed?

Still, at least they ended things. That means I can finally have a chance with Connor, which was exactly what I had planned when I moved back to Chicago. 

I must have been daydreaming, as Natalie is saying my name repeatedly, standing beside me. 

"Yes?" I ask, snapping out of it. "Sorry, I was just daydreaming." 

"I was trying to get your attention for ages," Natalie tells me. 

I smile sheepishly at her. "Sorry," I say, shrugging. "What was it that you wanted to tell me anyway?" 

"Connor and Ava ended their relationship," Natalie hisses. "Did you hear? Everyone is talking about it." 

"I know," I say, nodding. "Connor called me last night and told me." 

Natalie gives me a strange look that I can't quite work out. "So, he's really serious about you, if he did that," she says. 

I nod. "I guess so," I tell her. "Connor said that they weren't working out anyway. He thought that they were going to break up soon anyway." 

Natalie sighs. "You and Connor had better work out, otherwise you've just brought a lot of unnecessary drama into your life." 

"I know, I know," I say. "I already know how mad Ava will be. I know that she's going to hate me. I'm prepared for that." 

"Connor took a huge risk for you," Natalie tells me. "Just don't do what you did last time. You know...New York." 

"That was different," I protest. "You know it was! That was for a job! And he was the one who told me to go!" 

"But you know that wasn't what he wanted, and that job didn't even work out for you in the end," Natalie reminds me pointedly. 

I look at her, confused. "What are you trying to say?" I ask her. "Do you have a problem with Connor and I, or something?" 

"No," Natalie tells me firmly. "I just think that you should really be careful. You should be one hundred percent sure that you want this, before you cause something major to happen." 

"I already have caused something to happen," I tell her. "And of course I want this. That's why I came back to Chicago. I could have easily found another job in New York, but I wanted to come back here." 

"Okay," Natalie sighs. "I just wanted to warn you. It wouldn't hurt to take things slowly." 

"We probably will," I tell her. "Don't worry about me, Natalie. I don't need your advice, I was in a relationship with him before. I know what it's like." 

"Right," Natalie says, seeming deflated now. "I just wanted to let you know, that's all." 

I nod, still not quite at ease. 

Does anyone else feel this way about Connor and I?