Chapter 63

As soon as we arrive at the hospital, Connor gets out of the car, and heads towards the hospital. I have to jog for a moment to catch up with him. 

As Connor rushes into the ED, Maggie quickly hurries over to him "Maggie," he says, breathlessly. "Where's my father?" 

"He's in surgery right now," Maggie explains, gently. "He'll be out soon. For now, you can wait in the waiting room." 

"In surgery?" Connor asks. "Why? What happened?" 

"Your father had a heart attack," Maggie tells him. "You know the surgery. It's a simple one. Dr Bekker will succeed." 

"Dr Bekker?" he echoes, shocked. "Ava's doing the surgery? No. What?" 

"I'm sorry," Maggie says. "Why don't you and Tessa go to the waiting room. He'll be out soon. I can come and get you when he's back in the ED." 

"Come on," I say, leading him towards the waiting room. "Thank you Maggie."

Maggie nods. "No problem, I'll let you know if anything changes." 

Connor and I sit down in the waiting room. His leg is shaking slightly, but I don't make any comment about it. 

"He'll be fine," I say, squeezing Connor's hand reassuringly. 

"Ava's doing the surgery," he says, sighing. 

"I know," I tell him, nodding. I didn't expect him to be this worried about it all. 

"Ava, and my father? That combination has never ended well, for anyone," Connor says, leaning back against his chair. 

"Ava's a great surgeon," I remind him, softly. "You know that. She would never put a patient at risk because of something like that. Your father will be fine." 

"You're right," Connor says, his voice quieter than usual. I squeeze his hand again. 

After what seems like a lifetime of waiting, Maggie comes into the waiting room. "Cornelius is out of surgery," she says, her face looking serious. 

"He's out?" Connor asks. "So I can see him? I can talk to him?" 

"Yes," Maggie confirms, nodding. "He hasn't come around yet, but you can go into the room with him." 

"Okay, let's go," Connor says to me, standing up. Slowly, I stand up beside him. I'm feeling quite uneasy about this, all of a sudden. 

"Are you sure that he would want me there?" I ask, trying to come up with a valid reason for not having to go and be with a sick Cornelius. 

I want to be there for Connor, but I'll be there for him outside of the hospital room. 

"You're probably right," Connor says, nodding. "It should just be me." 

"I'll be right out here," I tell him, as he starts to walk away, to his father's hospital room. 

"Thank you," he repeats, letting out a small smile. 

"So, I take it that you two are back together?" Maggie asks, raising an eyebrow. 

"We are," I tell her. "Thank you for that, by the way. I know you played a part in it." 

"Don't worry about it," she says. "I'm sorry that your perfect night had to be ruined by this." 

"It's fine," I say, shrugging. "I just hope that Cornelius is okay. I don't think that Connor could handle it if he wasn't." 

"I know what you mean," Maggie says, nodding. "But I'm sure that he'll be fine." 

"I hope so," I agree.