Chapter 8: First shots

https://discord.gg/tjjWqjv7AF

=========================

Central Calendar February 20th, 1639

Qua-Toynian trenches, near the Lourian Border, Republic of Qua-Toyne, Rodenius Continent

The Qua-Toynian troops awoke at the sounds of artillery being fired. Troops stayed in cover as artillery shells rained upon their trenches. The thunderous booms of counter-artillery being fired shook the earth, and many realized what had happened. Without a formal declaration of war, the Lourian attack has begun. The war that they had dreaded for weeks had finally begun.

However, much to their surprise, the Lourian shells did not explode, leaving the Qua-Toynian soldiers dumbfounded for a moment, then the shell started releasing a greenish-gas.

"GAS SHELL!" somebody yelled, and there was massed pandemonium. Many realised that they were not issued gas masks, and were in severe danger. Some soldiers broke ranks and ran, for they knew how screwed they were. That obviously didn't work. Those who had gas masks were not safe either. The fear of death drew out the primal instincts in many. Comrades rose against comrades, fighting over the limited number of gas masks present; underlings rose against commanders, disregarding rank and file.

Mages tried their best to divert the wind to blow the gas away, but it was no use, the Lourians either had better wind mages, or had more of them. Most of them expended all their mana reserves and dug into cellular energy, but there was no use. The mages collapsed one by one out of extreme exhaustion. If they had survived the day, their livespans would at least be halved if not worse.

The gas enveloped the trenches. It was gruesome, the gas burnt off the skin of the unprotected. Many soldiers started coughing and vomiting. Some straight up coughed up chunks of flesh, it was not a good sight to behold. Those who had masks could only watch as their comrades clawed at their own throats, coughing out chunks of their own lungs. It was gruesome. Some soldiers with gas masks also started to pass out, for their gas masks were made cheaply and they couldn't inhale or exhale properly. The gas killed indiscriminately. Be it a human, elf or dwarf; lowest rank conscript or officer, they all die the same.

Then the familiar sound of troops marching mixed with the unfamiliar sound of engines started coming in. It got louder and louder, and the survivors, even if the sound was muffled through the gas masks, the men could still hear it. Their backs were against a wall now. If they ran, they would be shot in the back. The men knew they were dead. There's no escaping what is coming.

Swiftly, the survivors prepared to fight to the bitter end. They grabbed their rifles, some manned the machine guns, and the moment the enemy troops entered range, the remaining Qua-Toynian soldiers started firing. In front of them, large, boxy, tracked vehicles drove towards their trench. Behind them, Lourian infantry followed. The few still crewed Qua-Toynian howitzers fired, and explosive shells landed among the Lourian troops. Flashes of yellow can now be seen through the green mist.

"Fuck, they are still coming!" a muffled curse can be heard. Shots wizzed above the soldier's head. The large boxy vehicle fires a cannon round at the trench, pulverizing a number of troops. Despite this, the Qua-Toynians continued firing, doing their best to take down as many Lourians as possible.

Eventually, the Lourians reached the frontmost Qua-Toynian trenches and jumped in. Fierce bayonet action broke out, and after many hours, the Lourians took the first trench. Only a few dozen survived and were captured. However, the Lourian momentum was broken as field guns managed to land shots near the Lourian tank tracks, taking out the tracks and causing them to be immobilized. The casualties on both sides were heavy.