4 - Prophecies and Parties

The castle is full of students again once the holidays end
You pay more attention to the names that sound familiar to you.
An interesting member of your house is Sybil Trelawney.
You remember her being the most extravagant teacher you've ever met and that made you quit Divination once and for all.
Seeing her as a clumsy girl bullied by almost everyone makes you feel pity for her.
But you wish to make an exchange and be in her shoes once you remind that you're invited to join the Slug Club.
You don't like it because it gathers all the professor's favourite, that are mostly spoilt students from the wealthiest families.
And you dislike it even more because Riddle is part of it.
Ellie borrowed you a nice dress, since you don't have anything proper one.

With some magic you adjust it according to your tastes, wishing to survive the evening by being mostly invisible

Someone who can't be invisible is Riddle.
None of the other members catch your attention the way he does.
For the whole supper in Slughorn's enlarged office you observe how he charms the professor with his modest but witty words.
His smile is something so beautiful that he wouldn't need to cast an Imperius. You would do anything for him if he asks you, blinding you with that smile.
The party is so boring and you feel so sleepy that you risk to fall asleep if you sit on one of the couches.

"Not tempted to break any rule and get in detention again, Y/L/N?".
You halt and slowly turn on your heel, finding Riddle grinning mockingly at you.
He's sitting comfortably on a sofa, surrounded by adoring girls that are spoiling him with whiskey and cupcakes.
The view is so awkward that it makes you retch, if you're not distracted by how he looks at ease with just his white shirt, the top buttons loosened.

"Another detention with you is the last thing I want. So yes, I'm behaving" you say sternly.
"Maybe you'd prefer to join us and tell us more about French traditions?".
You think of French kissing. Why would you think that? Is it how appealing he looks or the gorgeous girls with their hungry red lips that seem eager to kiss him?
You hate the fire you feel in your blood, making you blush like a silly girl.
"I have no interest in joining your harem" you spit, walking away from the now snickering gang.

"Miss Y/L/N!".
On your rush to leave, you almost bumped against Slughorn.
"I hope you're enjoying this evening" he says and you accept the glass of whiskey he's offering, swallowing it in one gulp. And it's not enough to sooth what you're feeling.
"Yes, Sir. It's the loveliest party I've ever joined. I'm so honored to be here" you say trying to mimick Riddle's way of flattering.
"The pleasure is all mine. You're a smart girl. I expect great things from you" he leans closer winking at you "And thank you for the pineapple. Only few people know that I love crystallized pineapple. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask me".
You beam, glad to have won his support. The Head of the Slytherin house himself.

You thank him for the party and decide that it's time to leave.
You are about to open the door, when a hand precedes you.
You glance up to see Riddle's grin, bowing slightly as you force your petrified legs to move.
"You're not used to his kind of social life, are you?" he teases, following you with his jacket hanging from his arm and no sign to want to wear it and cover that inappropriate half unbuttoned shirt.
"What makes you say so? Are you disappointed that I wasn't there to feed you some love potion filled cupcakes?" you look around but there are none of his female friends around.
He chuckles "Would you use love potions to win someone's attention? Is that what you used with Slughorn? How did you know that pineapple's his favourite?".
You dislike how he leans closer to you. No matter how fast you walk, he easily follows you like he's your shadow.
"Just lucky guess" you struggle to divert the conversation to something more innocent "So I'll see you at the next Defence lessons? You must be very excited that we'll be studying sphinxes and riddles".
He frowns dramatically "Is it supposed to be funny?".
You fake a laugh "Yeah, why not? Are you good with riddles?".
"I'm sure you'll love to find out" he smirks "Is that your favourite course? You are not sleepy as you look at Potion. Although the professor looks more sleepy than you".
You choke the need to yawn "That's not true. What a pity Merrythought is retiring. She's such a sweet and patient teacher".
"Retiring?" he repeats, taken aback.
You hold your breath, unsure if that's big news. You know that other teachers succeeded her. A long list of teachers.
"Well, she looks tired enough of working" you dismiss "So, thank you for accompanying me, but there's really no need to walk all the way up to my tower, just to have to walk all the way down to your own dormitory".
"After the huge dinner we had and all the cupcakes I was forced to swallow, a long walk is what I need. Actually, I expected you to invite me to rest in your room".
You drop your jaw.
He cringes at his own words "Forget about it. Being trapped in a room with your annoying friends is the last thing I want".
You stare at him like he's a stranger being creepy "You drank way too much".
He leans dangerously close to you, to smell you "And you didn't?".
You take a step back, aware that he's a boy and that if he's out of his mind, you'd need to use your wand against him. Although you don't want it, because he's not Malfoy nor Avery nor the other annoying boys. He's Tom Riddle and he's so bloody gorgeous, even if he's high.
"Goodnight, Riddle" you said stiffly "Good luck with finding your way to your room. I'd love to see you stumble and roll down a staircase, but I'm really tired so keep this show for another day, okay?".
He narrows his eyes, that shine with a sinister light "Careful with what you wish. Or we'll be rolling down a staircase together".
"You'd like that" you hiss and march away, feeling weird emotions boiling in you. You try to blame it on the whiskey, but you're afraid that it's something worse. And you need to stay away from that feeling, since you are not going to stay in that time forever. And it's so wrong to fall for someone who is so old in your time that he could be your grandfather.
No, you need to forget Riddle with that half unbuttoned shirt, the messy hair and his burning gaze.
But for many days, and many damned nights, that imagine haunts you.