Chapter 14: We Meet Agian

Start from the beginning

Unlike their last encounter, where in his naivety, he could find some sense of beauty behind them, only anger was burning within them now. Not that it mattered to him. Jerome had no sympathy for the woman nearly on top of him as he went to kick out her leg. Unlike before, however, when her leg gave out, she rolled with it, propelling backward, ceasing the blade lock, and back flipping into a new combat stance.

Zar: Really? Did you think I didn't learn from our last duel?

Jerome: No, but it got you off me.

He growled, slowly wobbling to his feet as he glared at the CIS commander. Shifting to where his blade arm now faced her, Jerome prepared for her next move, his knuckles turning whiter upon her taking a few steps closer, her brow slightly raised as she gave him a once over.

Zar: Hm, to think you had such confidence over the comm when you were like this? You can barely stand, yet you won't just come quietly, but it makes this more enjoyable after what you cost me.

Jerome: A slap on the wrist and no approval from Dooku? Plus, you have to know I'm just keeping you busy. Obi-wan is coming, and it will end up like last time.

He mocked yet was no less at ease upon Zar shrugging.

Zar: He may, but we'll be long gone before he comes to save you again.

She said, twirling her blade and striking out, Jerome countering with a deflect, casting the upper blade into the wall. Backstepping, Jerome raised his arm before throwing the saber at the woman. Tumbling end over end, Zar manages to parry the attack, sending the weapon tumbling off behind her, its orange blade vanishing. Though the maneuver left the CIS commander exposed and taking advantage, Jerome pulled his blaster free of the holster and fired off a burst of blaster bolts from the hip.

Reeling with wide eyes, Zar flailed, bringing her duel-bladed lightsaber to bare, the motion scaring the floor and ceiling with burning streaks as the bolts ricocheted off the field surrounding the red plasma. But even with her movements, Zar staggered back in pain, letting out an airless gasp as smoke slowly rose from a hole in her side. Even with this opening to retreat, Jerome didn't let his opponent off the back foot. Teeth grinding and heart pounding, he fired again and again, flashes of blue impacting against the walls with each bolt deflected. The words of Anakin lost to Jerome among the bubbling thoughts of Reach, flashes of the destruction, the numbers of dead, and Max's grave all came to the forefront of his mind.

Jerome: What were you saying earlier? That like this, I could barely stand! Well, look who's on the backfoot now, you murderer!

He cried out, rage and pain heavy on the man's words as he aimed directly at Zar's face. As the bolt flew, the attack was for not. The Darkside commander's eyes, illuminated by the hue of her blade, shined a bright yellow for but a moment. That was all it took, the piercing aura behind them stunning Jerome long enough for Zar's counter. Pulling her hand away, Zar yelled out, sending forth a wave of Force energy at Jerome. The impact of which slammed into him like a truck.

Torn off his feet, the young man rocketed through the hallway, bouncing like a rubber ball against the harsh stone floor. Pain coursed through his body with each impact, fabric tearing free his injured limb, subjecting it to more punishment. The scream of pain from this stifled upon the subsequent impact, then the next after. For after the fourth, Jerome before going airborne till a sickening thud filled the passageway. Now a good ten meters from where he once stood, Jerome fell like a sack of potatoes to the floor. The taste of copper permeated his senses, with everything else spinning and throbbing in his mind with his back to the wall.

Panting with her target now incapacitated, Zar slowly strode forth, hand firmly pressed once again against her wound. Letting the crimson blades fade back into the hilt, she holstered her weapon, kicking aside Jerome's blaster pistol for good measure back towards his discarded saber.