Chapter 14: We Meet Agian

Start from the beginning

Anakin: You too, Jerome. May the Force be with you. Let's go, Ahsoka.

He said as he and R2 began to continue their way towards the landing pad, Ahsoka lagging behind, gave her comrade a slight nod of good wishes before disappearing down a stairwell. Alone in the dimly lit hallway, Jerome placed his finger again on his comm unit, a stern expression growing across his face as he spoke.

Jerome: Zar, you still there?

He muttered, waiting for several agonizing seconds before the CIS commander spoke.

Zar: I am. Have you made your decision?

Jerome: I have. If you want me so badly, you will have to find me. Wouldn't want our little 'game' to be so short.

He said, an audible smirk being conveyed, for Zar let out a joyful chuckle as she replied with the same confidence as before.

Zar: Oh, so you want to play, huh? Well, prepare yourself, Republic dog, for I-

And with that, Jerome cut the connection, removing his earpiece as he began to walk in the opposite direction of where his friends had gone, a soft beeping crying for attention before going silent. The halls echoed with each step he took, good arm poised with Jerome's orange saber at the ready.

Jerome: Well, just a game of hide and seek. I was good at Hide and Seek. Or thinking back, the old man probably knew exactly where I was at all times. Heh, it's strange. I can think fondly of those memories, even if you're probably gone for good.

Jerome said to himself, looking over his father's saber, the hilt almost warm to the touch against the slowly cooling air. The sky beyond the temple windows grew dimmer by the minute. Watching the clouds outside, framed against the dark purple sky for but a moment, the young Jedi in training kept moving. Minutes ticked by, and the anxiety in his chest only grew. Every bit of noise and rounded corners was checked methodically.

Jerome: Ok, it's been a while. Maybe she's still just waiting for me at the entrance. Oh, who am I kidding? After hanging up like that, she's going to be hunting me. Everything should be fine.

Jerome mused, allowing himself to chuckle under his breath, for it only to choke up as a harsh laugh echoed down the hallway.

Zar: You know, for someone who knew I was coming, you weren't trying very hard to conceal yourself.

The Darkside commander said, stepping out from a side pathway down the hall. Hues of red bounced off the walls as the Zar ignited her blade. Jerome freezing up, stared at her while trying to push down the spiking instincts as he spoke.

Jerome: Um, heh, well, you seeee, um, lousy reception? You know how these temples can get with comms, heh...you're not laughing.

Zar: No, but I will be in a few moments. Now, ignite those sabers of yours and- H-hey! Get back here!

She yelled out, watching Jerome sprint off instead of igniting his blades. If she wasn't angry before from his actions, she certainly was now upon flying after him. Her frustrated battle cry permeated the hallways alongside the rapid patter of feet against stone. The young Republic commander ran away from the raging blonde as fast as he could.

Jerome: Oh shit, oh fuck, I've done it now! If I can make it to the stairs, I'll- oh no, I'm floating, oh fuck I'm floating!?

He yelped, looking down as an invisible hand gripped his body, levitating him a few inches off the ground, before he screamed out as he was thrown into the wall, sending flaring pain through the previous injury while crumpling to the ground. Hissing, Jerome shifted onto his knees, echoes of his opponent's steps growing faster and faster, reverberating off the walls. At the last moment, when Zar was nearly on top of him, Jerome ignited his orange saber, swinging it around to meet Zar's crimson. Sparks flew from the collision, forcing Jerome onto his back to avoid the burning plasma, his eyes staring into Zar's.