Chapter 20 - Other Families, Other Problems

Start from the beginning

Laura always had a way with her words, knew what the head of the table wanted, how to press into it. It was near lethal. And it seems Umbra was her next opponent with his cautious but invested look.

Seconds of dread. I did know what was worse in the silence, that Umbra would say no and try his own crazy revenge plan, or he would say yes and the two would come up with something together.

Probably the second one.

" what's his name?" He spoke up.

My sister figure smirked, sealing the deal.

" Fernandiaz."

•~•

Umbra and Laura walked off to who knows where, discussing there attack. I felt sick to my stomach, my nerves were still firing at a million miles per second, I couldn't comprehend all of this.

Laura's arrival

Her intentions

Kol's revival like thing

Artemis going feral and Umbra mode

The orphanage burning

Deaths of children

The sobs of despair

cries of pain

Fires raging

pleading screams

red liquid gliding through the air, permanently staining everything both physically and emotionally.

" Jack?"

I was startled by the new voice behind me, shaking the bleachers I was sitting on. Behind me, sitting on the higher metal bench was Blake, hands on her hips, giving me a scowling look.

"Hey Blake, you alright?" I asked softly, to tired to strike up any conversation. Instead, Blake's glare deepened " why you asking me? I'm not the one who's sadist cousin just appeared from thin air, again." I let out a pent up breath, knowing what this is all going to be about.

" I don't know,  all of this is wrong and sort of backwards." I murmured, bowing my head to avoid her look. Instead she sat down next to me, going " how do you mean?"

" Laura is known for getting wrapped in her own ways, her more harmful ways. And... I do know, every time she shows up, it's usually something bad." I grumbled, hurt and anger heating up inside of me.

Blake kept silent for a while, watching my anger rise. " well, you said she used to be like your sister, maybe your upset because she hasn't really been with you since before the death of your aunt and uncle." She offered slowly, testing her limits on this topic.

I knew that she didn't have any siblings in her family so it was a bit hard to be empathetic. But also to add on the unusual drama between me and Laura.

I pondered about what she said, thinking about our times together, before and after her home blew up, when we found each other again, and now.

Come to think of it, ever since after her home exploded and she practically shoved herself into my life, we haven't really had each other's back like before. Sure we had some of our moments, the Spotlight moment at the bar sticking out among them.

" you may have a point there Blake, id say that about 75% of the time she does her own thing and seems to forget." I speak up, her advice kind of helping.

Blake looked into my eyes, searching. I looked back and there was something I thought I would never see in her eyes about my problems... curiosity. " well, what are the good things she has done?"

The memory of me singing at the bar flooded my mind, how I had so much control over my voice. I wanted to show Blake, but I might not be able to do it to that extent like the last. So, I took a deep breath and began to explain.

" they say before.... We had to rescue you guys, Patron thought it would be nice to relax a bit, calm down our nerves, so he took us to an LGBTQ+ Bar packed with people." There was a pang of memory hurt, probably from what she experienced from her capture, but she continued to listen with content.

" Laura had for some reason set me up for a karaoke moment in front of everyone. So, I never got an opinion in the topic and I was shoved out there. I think I did alright, everyone seemed to enjoy it. But then I did something suicidal, something kind of stupid...."

My voice died, I don't know if I should be proud for what I did, but I have to get this off my chest, tell her something important. She continued to egg me on with my story, taking a deep breath, I tried to wrap it up.

" during the ending verses, I.... Ripped of my mask. I was able to control my voice through the end of the song."

I looked back at the exothermic hero next to me. Her eyebrows raised high, joy and surprise shining bright in her beautiful red ember eyes. After a second, she sputtered out the beginning of a sentence but I stopped her.

Taking a deep breath, I tenderly slid off my mask.

Control Jack, don't screw this up!

Tell her....

In a low, slow voice, I choked out what has been on my mind.

" Laura set me up.... With the moment of confidence. But... you...gave me the strength.... To control my curse."

Blake looked as if she was hit with a shotgun blast. I didn't know what to do, so I have her a small shy smile. Then, to my surprise, Blake leaned forward and kissed me. " Mmm!" I exclaimed for a second, completely caught off guard. But I kissed back, wrapping my arms around her waist, hers around my neck.

We pulled away after a few minutes,  It took so much strength and energy to that sentence, so when I slid the mask back on, tears began to rise, but I held back.

Blake sat at my side, leaning on me as I wrapped my arm around her. " well done HeadJack. You're getting better."

All I could do was smile, I really didn't want to talk anymore, just enjoy the sunset view of -

" Oi love birds!"

Our moment alone together was since again shattered by Buck shouting at us. Has he been watching this whole time?

We turn to face him, standing at he highest bleacher, a plain expression on his face as he went " Artemis and the new girl have a plan, come on!"

Just as quickly as he arrived, he jumped of the side and vanished. Seconds of awkwardness passed as Blake looked back up at me. " it'll be alright. No matter what stupid idea your cousin comes up with, we'll have each other's backs."

My smile grew as we headed back to join the others.

But this plan, this upcoming mission, would be our most dangerous one ever.

——————————————————————

Well folks, what do you think?

I had to add in my second favorite ship somehow - Blake x Jack

I like both gay and straight relationships.

More gay though.

Sorry for the delay, I had a school dance and then my very first Sleep over on Friday, so Saturday was was practically dead.

So I'm only now starting to recover.

Remember, I try to post every other day, but if keep in mind if possible delays.

Thank you guys for supporting my channel and stories, it means a lot.

Sorry for grammar errors

This story is now at 1K readers!!!

To those writers who are reading this, keep up your amazing work.

Oh and 0Galaxy_Kitty0 I found your YouTube channel and I'm subscribed!

See y'all around, have a great day

Hydro fury.