Chapter 2: The Start of a New Life.

As the captains and lieutenants continued to stare at the young substitute before them, their thoughts ranged from shock to disbelief.

Unohana was saddened at the position being forced on the young man and confused as to why he was accepting it so calmly.

Byakuya's face seemed to be somewhere between laughter and anger as his eye and upper lip twitched uncontrollably. He was screaming inside, his mind trying to deny what it was seeing and praying this was all just an elaborate joke of the Captain Commander's, the mere thought of the substitute outranking him was already making him want to drown himself in even more sake.

Komamura while shocked trusted Genryusai's judgement and would follow the substitute if this was to be the case.

Kyoraku and Ukitake were cursing inwardly at the fate of the young man, their thoughts along the lines that he shouldn't have to bear this burden. Hitsugaya was thinking along similar lines to them, but more because he knew how hard it was to be the youngest captain, now they would have an even younger Commander.

Kenpachi was grinning like a maniac at the fact that his favourite sparring partner would be around permanently and Mayuri was cursing the fact that now the substitute was irrevocably out of reach and so were his friends if he wished to live.

The lieutenants were not much better as Omaeda quivered in fear of Ichigo, remembering the time he was defeated barehanded.

Izuru, Isane, Momo, Tetsuzaemon and Shuhei were shocked but had to admit that the power he possessed easily eclipsed the other captains.

Renji and Rangiku were wide eyed and gaping like fish as they tried to make sense of the news, while Nanao and Nemu appeared wide eyed but were at least able to save themselves further embarrassment. Yachiru was just confused as what this made Ichigo now.

Rukia lowered her eyes, believing that she was the main cause for forcing him into a position that would take him away from his family, she was so lost in her thoughts she failed to hear Sui-Feng's question.

"Forgive me Captain Commander, but is this the best decision? This boy isn't even a formal soul reaper and still possesses a mortal shell," Sui-Feng asked breaking the silence.

Turning his gaze to the petite captain, Ichigo's eyes bored into her own. Sui-Feng felt her heartbeat rise rapidly, her lungs seemed to be struggling to inhale enough air and her stomach seemed to be twisting in on itself a light blush on her cheeks. She was released from his gaze as Genryusai spoke.

"Normally you would be correct Captain Sui-Feng, however circumstances have changed. Ichigo no longer has a human body as of last night, when he attempted to merge into it, it turned to dust in contact with him. As such for the protection of those in the Living World, he will now reside here in Soul Society permanently. As for his training in the skills of a soul reaper, I will be instructing him so that he has all pertinent knowledge of such subjects," Genryusai concluded.

The assembly waited to see if there were any further questions about the meeting and seeing none were forthcoming Genryusai spoke, "This meeting is dismissed then, return to your previous duties." Standing, he ground his cane into the ground dismissing the soul reapers and gesturing for Ichigo to follow. Unknown to them however was Yoruichi on the roof, video camera in hand as she slipped away giggling slightly at Byakuya's face.

XXX

As the pair exited the hall a voice stopped them. "Ichigo!" shouted Rukia.

Turning to look back at her, Genryusai looked at Ichigo saying, "Meet me back at the estate when you have finished up here." Nodding his understanding Ichigo watched as the aged captain flash stepped away before turning to look back at Rukia as she ran up to him.