A Color Tainted Soul

"Wends."

Wednesday flinches at the sudden use of the random nickname, her face contorting with distaste. She turns to face her roommate, glare darker and deeper than ever. Thing shudders beside her.

"What did you call me?"

"Wends. Do you like it?" Enid beams, clearly proud of it. "I just thought of it. It's that, or Wenny. Your choice." Again, she knew she had won. Her smile only grows at Wednesday's silence, and the way the upper corners of her roommate's lips raise, similar to the way a cat's hackles would.

For a long moment, nothing is said.

"I... Suppose." She pauses, spitting out her next words as if they were something vile. "Wends is the preferred option."

Thing visibly relaxes. No blood had been shed- yet.

"Okay! And while we're on the subject of you letting me get away with stuff you would kill anyone else for-!" She pauses to let what she had said sink in. "I have something I want you to try on! I got it earlier and it's too small for me. Maybe it'll fit you instead?" Enid suggests hopefully.

It was a lie. This was all part of her master plan. Her phone was already clutched tight in the palm of her hand, ready to take a photo the moment the clothing was over Wednesday's head.

"If it's pink I refuse to even approach it."

Enid quickly frowns. "Wednesday, pleaseeeee?"

The goth looks away immediately, averting her gaze from the one thing she despised most- Enid's puppy eyes. One of her very little weaknesses. Not only were they absolutely disgusting, but so rarely used Wednesday couldn't even think of a way to find their weakness.

And though she always tried to postpone her inevitable doom, she knew she would always lose. Enid's puppy eyes were the girl's strongest weapon, capable of disabling even the strongest (Wednesday).

"The answer is no. I cannot touch color. I thought we went over this already."

Enid moves, circling Wednesday as her attempt to get her roommate to look her in the eyes. Wednesday continues turning as to avoid doing so.

"You're probably just saying that so you don't have to touch me or my stuff. Well, guess what? I'm not falling for it. You're going to try the sweater on." Enid briefly pauses, hurrying over to her bed to retrieve said sweater, and returning to Wednesday. "Whether you like it or not."

Wednesday puts up no type of fight as the article of clothing is forced over her head, despite the burning that crawls its way up her neck and across her hands as the colorful sweater touches it. She remains completely silent as Enid inspects her, circling her again to inspect the sweater from all angles. For some reason. Would she die if Wednesday were to take it off now?

"It looks amazing! You should totes wear it more often!" Enid bounces on her toes, clapping her hands. Wednesday doesn't reply.

The two stand in awkward silence for a few minutes. "Wednesday?" Enid asks, tilting her head as she gazes at the oddly still girl before her. Had she always been so stiff?

"Wednesday?"

Thing skitters nervously around them both, briefly pausing every few seconds to sign something so quick it's completely intelligible.

"Thing, slow down! I can't understand you when you talk so fast." Enid whines, frowning as confusion flicks across her features. Her eyebrows furrow, lips turning down. "Try again. Please?"

Thing pauses, seemingly calming himself, and tries again.

'She's actually allergic to color. Look at her neck.'