Chapter 4

Astrea

After leaving the Sully family to themselves I walked back to my own hut. Leaving Tis to go back to hers own. I walked into mine seeing my mother preparing what I assumed to be stuff for our dinner. My mom is an excellent cook, hence her being the head chef of the clan. So when we have our own meals I get absolutely spoiled rotten. But on special occasions such as the Sully's arriving Tonowari will decide to hold a feast for the people. Where we all come together to eat, laugh and sing songs. It is always a fun time, for me at least.

"Hello Astrea, how was your day?" Mother asks, grabbing ingredients and putting them into a basket.

"I met the new comers. And I also promised Tis that I would help her and Anoung teach them. I believe Rotxo is coming with as well." I said moving over to my sleeping mat, lying down on my back to relax after such a long day.

"Well that is very nice of you, but I do want you to be careful ok." She said to me.

"Mum they are not demons. They are very nice people." I state, a bit harsh. But it was true. The Sully's are indeed a very nice family and even with some of them having an extra finger, they are not different then I.

"No dear I did not mean it like that. I simply have not met them yet. If you were to tell me that you made new friends with children from the village over and were going to spend some time with them I would also tell you to be careful. When I get to meet them then I will tell them to be careful of you." Mother says with a small smirk.

"Hey!" I yell back to her, laughing at her words.

"I must go to start preparing the food. I will see you there." She says as she walks out of the hut.

"Yes but I'll be sitting with Tis, Anoung, and Rotxo." I yell to her before she is out of earshot.

I just sat on my mat, using my knife to make myself a new bead for my hair. I liked the way they looked, all of the different colours and styles I make from almost everything I am able to find. After I finish carving the bead I give it to Tis to braid into my hair.

The bead I was working on was just about finished when I heard a knock at the door.

"We must gather the Sully's now. It is almost dinner." Tis says. I still haven't looked up at her, focusing intensely on the bead in front of me.

"Go ahead I'm almost done then after we eat you can braid my hair." I respond. My eyes still on the bead in my hands.

"Are you sure?" She questions.

"Yes yes, I promise I will be there soon." I state.

At that Tis finally leaves. Not much long after she left I decide that I should probably go eat and take a break. I don't particularly feel very hungry but my fingers are also starting to feel numb. I get up from my bed mat, taking my bead and knife with me in hopes that I can continue while everyone eats. And when I can feel my fingers again.

I leave and start to head towards the hut where the clan eats when we have our special celebrations. I see that Tis is already sitting on the ground next to a fire with the Sully children. Roxto is also there but I don't see Anoung with them, which is probably a good thing considering he is not taking to the Sully's to well. Speaking of him, I guess he noticed me first for I now see him walking up to me.

"Hey Astrea, come sit with me and my friends." He said gesturing to his friends. I raise my eyebrows at him, for he knows that I don't exactly like the particular group in question.

"Them?" I ask.

"Yeah. Come on it'll be fine. I promise." He answers.

"I promised Tsireya already that I would sit with her to welcome the Sully's. And your father also said that you should be the one welcoming them so you should also be over there." I saw poking his chest.

"Whatever. Are you joining us or not." He responds rolling his eyes.

"No." I say walking away from him towards where the Sully's, Tsireya, and Roxto are sitting enjoying their meal. When I get closer I see that the oldest boy is watching me walk over. He has an expression on his face that I can't exactly place but I simply send him a quick smile. I think thats when he noticed that I saw him looking at me for he sent me a small one back before quickly turning his head back to his siblings.

"Astrea you made it finally." Roxto says to me, once I reach the group.

"Sorry I got carried away." I saw as I take a seat between the older boy and Roxto. Smiling at everyone who is now looking at me.

"Beads?" Roxto questions.

"Beads." I respond laughing.

The Sully's look at us a little confused as to what was so funny but just go back to cooking their meal. Or at least attempting to.

"You ok there?" I ask the older Sully boy next to me, pointing to his now very burnt piece of meat.

"He got a bit distracted by something. He couldn't keep his eyes on what he was doing." The younger one says laughing at his older brother. The older one turned his head to his brother. I wasn't able to see his face but he was definitely not happy by his comment.

"Here let me help you." I say, grabbing the stick that was in his hands. I take off the piece of burned meat, putting it on the plate next to me before grabbing him a new fresh piece. "Keep it above the fire, not in it, might help."

I turn back to the boy who now had a slight blush covering his face. I didn't intentionally mean to embarrass him but it was rather funny. Though I'm not entirely sure what could've distracted him that much to make him burn the meat that bad.

"Thank you..." The boy starts to thank me, but falls short. That's when I realize that I haven't given him my name yet. The only time he's addressed me he's called me beautiful. I can feel some heat rush to my cheeks as I remember that encounter.

"Astrea." I finish for him.

"Neteyam." He says back to me before focusing his gaze on the fire where he placed his stick above the fire this time.