Princess Margot Andúnë

Start from the beginning

I spent an inordinate amount of time fixing my hair and makeup in the mirror, wanting to make sure I was the perfect version of New Margot. This was who Eddie was into and who would impress him. I stared at my closet and finally settled on a plaid skirt and a soft red sweater. I took one last look in the mirror before slipping Eddie's ring onto my pointer finger and smiling stupidly at it.

I floated out of my room, Old Margot over the moon about seeing Eddie again this afternoon for (hopefully) my second time kissing someone. I was still giddy when I walked down the stairs, staring at the ring and grinning wildly.

"Have you read any of the Crown and the Shadow series?" my dad asked from the kitchen. I furrowed my brows and stopped, wondering if he was having a phone interview again. I felt my stomach fall when I heard the next voice.

"Are you kidding? Those are my second favorite series, right after Lord of the Rings."

---

"Dude, quit lying," Gareth admonished, throwing an empty soda can at me. I scoffed at him, incredulous that he didn't believe me.

I had called Jeff and Gareth first thing in the morning, insisting that they come over immediately. I had told them I was invited to Margot's party, and I had Dustin as a witness to prove it. They teased me relentlessly about it, making me even more nervous than I needed to be.

But that didn't matter – I kissed Margot Patterson. And she kissed me! I couldn't wait to tell them.

"I'm not lying!" I replied. Jeff took another hit of the joint I had rolled and scoffed.

"Dude – you really want us to believe that Margot Patterson let you kiss her? We were having a hard enough time believing that she would let you even come to her party, and you think we would believe it when you tell us that you two made out?"

"Yes! Because we did! And it was amazing!" I insisted. They looked at each other and started laughing again, shaking their heads.

"There's no way, man," Gareth insisted. I let out an angry sigh, trying to figure out how to prove it to them. I glanced at my hands and my eyes widened.

"Look!" I exclaimed, raising my hand. "I gave her my skull ring last night!"

"What does that prove?" Jeff teased. I glared at them and stood.

"You know what – it doesn't matter. I know that I kissed her. And I know that I'm about to go over there to bring her back here and kiss her some more," I replied, standing and grabbing my jacket.

"Alright, sure, Munson – hope you have a good time on your imaginary date with the actual Queen of Hawkins High," Gareth joked. Jeff started laughing harder.

"The Queen and the village idiot," Jeff continued. Gareth started losing his breath from laughing so hard. I sneered at them and stormed out of the trailer, fuming at my best friends. I climbed into Shelob and sped off towards Margot's house.

Once I got on the road, my anger was replaced by nerves. What if Margot didn't mean it? What if I completely misinterpreted everything?

I shook my head. How can you misinterpret someone kissing you? I took in a shuddering breath. Eddie the Brave had served me well last night. I needed to continue to channel him.

My hands were shaking when I parked in front of her house. I desperately hoped that I was right in this and that I wouldn't be embarrassed. I scampered up to the door of her house and took a deep breath in. I knocked on the front door softly, secretly hoping no one would answer.

My hopes were shattered when the door swung open. A tall man with thick glasses and a kind smile opened the door. He had the same eyes as Margot. My eyes widened.