chapter twenty-three.

(Y/n) wanted to run back to the hospital room so badly. She wanted to race through the door and leap into Dazai's arms. Instead, she kept her pace calm. She was nearly at a jog as she went back to the room.

She stopped in the doorframe, looking at where Dazai was resting. There he was – sitting up with the cheekiest smile he could pull off in his tired state. Before she even stepped into the room he said, "Did you miss me?"

(Y/n) dropped onto the side of Dazai's bed, careful not to be too rough with him. She enveloped him in a hug, tears running down her cheeks once again. This time, it wasn't over despair or overwhelming guilt. She was happy to feel these tears run down her face. She knew that all of this was real.

"I'm so glad you're awake," she breathed, pressing her face against his shoulder. "I wasn't sure I'd ever get to talk to you again."

She looked up from his shoulder, her eyes glassy and lips curled into a smile. He ran his hand against her head, rubbing over her hair before coming back around to her cheek. He stroked his thumb against one of her tears, wiping it away.

"Did you really think you'd be rid of me that easily?" His cheeky smile turned more genuine as he saw the joy overtake her emotions. "Are you okay?"

"Things could be worse," she said, leaning closer to him, "but they're starting to get better now."

Kunikida watched the two interact with one another

Kunikida watched the two interact with one another. How (Y/n) held Dazai close, threatening never to let go again. How Dazai ran his hands weakly against her skin, as if rediscovering what it meant to be affectionate with her.

He could feel his heart pounding against his chest. He was right – emotions were running high as everyone's adrenaline was pumping. He knew that what he was feeling now would soon pass. That was until he realized just how tired he was.

His rush ended long ago, yet his emotions remained the same. It had been a long time since he felt such longing for another person. Since he thought that he was about to lose someone he cared very deeply about.

Kunikida knew that was exactly how (Y/n) was feeling right now. Except she was able to receive some form of closure and relief. She was able to hear Dazai's voice again. She was able to touch him and have him touch her right back.

Watching her hold Dazai was almost painful. His heart throbbed and he began to get a headache. He wasn't totally sure it wasn't just because he was tired. He just knew that he needed to have closure as well. He needed to be honest because there might not be another chance.

Kunikida watched for another minute as Dazai and (Y/n) held one another, making sure the other was alright. He turned away, making his way back out of the room. He stopped at the doorframe, looking back at the two. He watched as (Y/n) pressed a long kiss to his forehead.

This was a bad idea.