chapter twenty-two.

Start from the beginning

(Y/n) explained to her what the doctors told her, pausing every so often to catch her breath and stop herself from sobbing once again. She'd been crying so much that she wasn't sure she had any tears left, yet she found herself wiping her eyes with her sleeve every so often.

"I'm so sorry this happened, (Y/n)." It felt like Hinami was giving (Y/n) a hug. Her gentle tone was all (Y/n) needed to break down once again. "Oh, it's going to be okay!"

"It doesn't feel like it right now, Hinami," (Y/n) cried, struggling to keep her voice down as she threatened to draw attention to herself right in the hospital's hallway. "If I'd gotten up faster or dealt with those kids any faster then—"

"There's nothing more you could've done than what you already did," Hinami reassured her. "They got the drop on you – that's just how it played out. That doesn't make it better, but it certainly doesn't make it your fault."

"All of this is my fault, Hinami," (Y/n) said, her voice small.

There was a brief pause on Hinami's side. After what felt like forever dipped in silence, Hinami stated, "I'm coming back to Yokohama."

Panic instantly filled (Y/n). "What?! No, you can't! What if—"

"I don't care if something happens to me while I'm there. You're in pain and you're my friend," Hinami continued, her voice stern. When she was like this, there was no changing her mind – especially since (Y/n) experienced a lot of this stubbornness in the past.

"You don't have to—"

"Yes, I do." Hinami cut her off. "I'll see you in a couple hours." With that, Hinami hung up the phone.

Kunikida watched as (Y/n) let her arm fall to her lap, the glow of her phone darkening once her hand hit her thigh

Kunikida watched as (Y/n) let her arm fall to her lap, the glow of her phone darkening once her hand hit her thigh. She stared down at the ground, her face glistening ever so slightly in the dim lighting.

He rounded the corner, walking over to her. She didn't even bother to look up once he stopped beside her. He knew that she knew who was standing beside her without looking up, especially since her tense shoulders relaxed as he stopped.

"Was that Hinami?" Kunikida questioned.

(Y/n) nodded, sucking in a breath through her nose before looking up. She didn't look to him, simply staring at the wall ahead of her.

"She's coming back to Yokohama now. I told her not to come but she insisted."

"It's not recommended she come back at this moment, but I can see why." He slowly placed a hand on her shoulder. "She's a good friend."

"She is. A kinda stupid one, but a good one." Even in this dark moment, she was able to let out a chuckle. Not even a forced one – a real chuckle.

Kunikida eyed her features, looking down to the shoulder his hand was placed upon. He knew he should've let go, yet he couldn't bring himself to do so.

"(Y/n)," he began, causing her to look up at him. Her eyes were glazed over and puffy from crying. "There's something I need to talk to you about. I know right now might not be a great time to do so."

"What is it?" she questioned.

Kunikida opened his mouth to speak. He knew that emotions were running high, his own adrenaline was still pumping from the night before. His heart raced as he stared into her eyes. This was not a good idea.

He was interrupted as another pair of footsteps hastily approached them.

"Miss (L/n)." (Y/n) looked past Kunikida, shooting up as she spotted Dazai's doctor approaching them. "Mr. Dazai has regained consciousness."