chapter twenty-two.

Start from the beginning

"Alright." Kunikida nodded. He was about to dispute whether those teens were actually sent by Aimi. He stopped himself before he could. It wasn't just about who else would've sent them and had the resources to poison Dazai in such a way, but rather (Y/n)'s reaction to a dispute of such an obvious statement.

(Y/n) sniffled, looking up at Dazai's sleeping face. She wanted to reach out and caress his cheek, his soft skin against her own. She couldn't bring herself to do it, knowing that it would only cause her to long for him to tell her that it would be alright more than she already did. She wanted nothing more than to hear him speak to her one more time. Now she wasn't even sure if he'd ever open his eyes again.

She let go of Dazai's hand and stood up, telling Kunikida as she stepped towards the door, "Excuse me for a moment. I have to go make a phone call." As soon as she told him what she was doing, she clapped a hand over her mouth to stop her from letting out any other unwanted noises.

(Y/n) stepped out of the hospital room and went further down the hall

(Y/n) stepped out of the hospital room and went further down the hall. She rounded a corner, spotting a small bench nearby. She pulled her phone out of her coat pocket as she sat down.

She scrolled through her contacts, pretending as if she had anyone else she could call. These were the moments that made her miss having more than just the Agency and Hinami. She thought back to when Dazai briefly mentioned her parents during their wedding planning. God how she wanted to have just one more moment with them – with someone who wasn't already completely entangled and impacted by the crap that seemed to just follow her everywhere.

(Y/n) tapped Hinami's number, pressing the phone to her ear as she listened to it ring. It rung twice before Hinami answered, immediately greeting her with, "(Y/n)?! Oh my god, what happened? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. We're at Yokohama Central now—"

"You're at the hospital?!" Hinami repeated, her voice shrill and clearly distressed by that simple statement.

"Yeah..." (Y/n) sniffled, using the back of her sleeve to wipe the tears forming in her eyes. "The safe house was compromised and we were attacked."

"Are you okay? How did they even find you?"

"Kunikida thinks that Aimi's little gang might have spotted a member of the Agency and tailed them back to the safe house at some point," (Y/n) explained. "It was a disaster."

"What happened? None of that explains why you're at the hospital."

"When the teens broke in, they injected Dazai with some kind of poison." (Y/n) stopped herself again, taking a breath before continuing. "I fought them off but I took so long that when I went to check on Osamu, he didn't have a pulse nor was he breathing."

Hinami was silent on her end for a moment, eventually whispering "Oh my god" into the phone. "So Dazai is the one in the hospital. What did his doctors say? What's going on now?"