Why do my parents act this way only toward me?

"Iyan ang nakukuha mo dahil lang pinakawalan ka namin ng Mommy mo? Iyan lang ba, Anjel?! Ang suwayin kami?"

Mommy was shaking her head as she stared at me being scolded by Daddy.

"We didn't make you shift despite being only a second honor student, Anjel. What more do you want? Have we caged you so much? Is that why you're acting recklessly now? Huh?"

My tears formed on the side of my eyes. I could feel my heartbeat quicken because of stress.

"God, ang tanga mo!" halos sigaw ni Mommy nang bitawan ako ni Daddy para tumungo sa dining table.

Pinunasin ko ang mga luha ko at pinagmasdan si Daddy na galit habang kumukuha ng utensils mula sa cabinet ko. My Mom was looking past me, at the picture frames I had. Nandoon silang dalawa ni Daddy at ang family sides nilang dalawa.

"Until you stop seeing River, you will not receive any money from us. I will stop your cards from running, and you will suffer the result of your choices." Mommy declared before walking to Dad.

"Fine," I sniffed before walking to my room.

I took all the cash I had from my wallet and the cards. Lumabas ako at pinatong ang mga 'yon sa dining table.

"Kunin niyo na po lahat. You already threatened me before, Mom. I knew this would happen."

I lied. I never expected them to fully remove their financial support for me. I just... I don't fucking know what I was doing right now. I just wanted them to listen to me, to hear what I want, and to let me do what felt good and right for me. Was that so hard to do for a parent?

What I want wasn't even bad or illogical!

Parang kinakalaban nila ang tama. Tama naman ang gusto kong mangyari. Tama naman ang pagtulong sa kapwa, ah? Tama rin naman ang magmahal, ah?

"Ah, alright." Mommy took whatever I had and looked at me as if she'd point a gun at me and kill me now. "Magutom ka, mauhaw ka, at mahirapan ka hanggang sa makita mo ang pagkakamali mo."

"The only wrong thing I see right now, Mom, is the disrespect I've done because I've been answering back, and Daddy and you forcing me to do something I don't want to do."

"Since when did we force you to do something bad? Tell me, Anjel, when?"

"Mom, I never wanted to stay at the top during high school, yet I did. I never wanted to feel an enormous amount of pressure every day—no child does. I didn't want to quit my two university organizations, yet I did. I don't want to stop seeing River, and I probably never will. This is the firmest choice I've ever made apart from choosing my program."

"And, what have these so-called firm decisions brought you, huh? You've become instantly famous for the wrong reason! And, you have failed to stay at the top because of your program! Ano bang masama kung ikaw ang nasa tuktok? Hindi ba't ang daming benefits?"

"Marami nga na benefits, but at what cost?"

My mother didn't reply to my words, so I resumed.

"I never felt happy with the accomplishments. I am only beginning to feel happy now that I am studying something I really like. Pero the past awards and recognitions, those meant nothing because they were never enough for the both of you."

"Dahil bakit ka pa gagawa ng isang bagay kung hindi mo maipapanalo!"

"Is everything a race for you and Dad?"

Daddy's eyes were still the same, piercing my soul with a force of disgust. Mommy's look was the same, but it felt as if hers was leaning toward the disbelief side. Like she never thought I felt this way all along.