Chapter 5: Resilience

June 17, 2023 - Athenia

While driving down the streets of the Hellenic Capital, Lucy and her Lieutenant friend could see what was truly an inspiring sight.

Men and women working in and out all across the city, rebuilding homes and other buildings, working on shelters and safety systems, and much more.

Lucy even took note of several young children - Seven at the youngest - taking sticks and baseball bats, and hitting a large human sized pinata, looking incredibly like the leader of the Axis enemy. The 'Führer' as they call him.

It was really amazing, she regarded.

Heroes like the Batman himself, along with many other grown adults and officials giving up without a fight, but these little boys and girls were standing up without a care for what the enemy would do.

Those kids are some of the bravest Lucy had ever seen. Without even knowing them, she was proud to see they wouldn't give in to defeat.

"If only Batman could act more like them." She regarded bitterly, under her breath.

#

Arriving to a Hotel Suite, Lucy and her subordinate officer friend entered into a relaxing room of sorts, a few people eating, playing games, etc. While handing her some papers and documents, the Lieutenant spoke.

"Here's a list of residents of our people from Syspocalypstar, living in Athenia, General. They could be valuable intermediates."

"Ok, ok. Do we know their reasons for helping us?" Lucy asked while reading the list of new Allies.

"Unfortunately, most of them are only acting in self-interest." The Lieutenant looked more annoyed now, seeing many only want to help for their own gain.

Lucy just scoffed, amused at this list. "They'll just wait, and build up behind whoever's the boss."

"Not all of them, General. Many actually support our cause to help. They find defeat unbearable to follow." He said, more hopeful. "You can meet with them, then sooner or later build up the others' hopes."

"Kid, I know, but we need real action. We need commitment." Lucy clapped back. It was not meant to be rude, just that they would have to work long and hard. "And we need funds from outside help."

The Lieutenant, understanding his Commanding general was under stress, tried to be supportive again.

"Have you spoken to you husband yet?" He asked her kindly, and Lucy just smiled that he was trying to help her.

"Not yet actually. He doesn't know I'm here again."

After walking through the hallway of the top floor for another minute, the two came across an old acquaintance of the Lieutenants.

A young woman, about the Lieutenants age, about Twenty-three years. A gracefully looking Red-head, with a bright sundress. Cheeks bright, and even a few freckles, though not as much as Lucy.

Lucy herself felt sort of dark compared to the young lady, since she was still rough and edgy, and now a Military General, but tried to brush it off.

Besides, her natural hair color was still candy blue and lipgloss pink, so she wasn't too dark. Lucy was still obviously a Goth Rebel type, but a little more in tune with her old self.

"Madame General," He spoke to Lucy. "This is Samantha Martin, a childhood friend of mine."

The young lady Samantha extended her hand out to greet the General. "A pleasure, Ma'am."

Lucy accepted and kindly shook her hand. "It's good to meet you Samantha."

"Oh please, you can call me Sam." She offered. She was incredibly kind and youthful with her personality, reminding Lucy a great deal of her Husband Emmet.