Chapter 5 - Nicolette

The news that a noblewoman wanted to learn from the women of the cabaret spread like wildfire backstage. The secret was best kept among the females of the place and they eagerly awaited the arrival of this "Catherine", who had said she would come every day from three in the afternoon to rehearse and perform when necessary and asked to do so. She needed money. 

They tidied up the rehearsal room and the most interested in meeting the lady in question, waited for her at the agreed time dressed in their best finery. 

"Why do you think she needs the money?" asked Kumiko, the personification of Chinese beauty, tightening the knot of her kimono. 

"Is she very arrogant?" Nala, a tall and exotic African woman, made a doubtful face. She was in high demand for her hypnotic dances. 

"No, she's not arrogant," corrected Salma. 

"I don't think so," the rest of the women agreed in unison. "Otherwise, she wouldn't have come here asking for our help," added another. 

"What do my eyes see? The new beauty of Fantasy!" they heard Dimitri exclaim and they stood up to receive her. If these people had something, it was loyalty to their own, even if it seemed improbable. 

Catherine entered, untying her cape and looking at all those beautiful women with admiration. They wore different, extravagant but fascinating make-up. As the name of the place said: Fantasy! Behind her, Nina followed her, who as soon as she entered, looked for a chair to sit on so she could bear the weight of her aching head.

"Welcome, Catherine," Salma moved her hips to reach the young woman, planting a loving kiss on her forehead. "I present to you: this is Kumiko. 

The Asian woman joined her hands and lowered her head, greeting her. 

"And this is Nala, the African beauty." 

"Salam aleikum," Catherine smiled, she would ask later what those words meant and how she should respond. 

The introductions were a bit long because there were about ten women and they all wanted their moment of glory in front of the noble. When the names and origins were given, as well as some curious comments, Salma lifted the girl onto a wooden box. They all circled around her studying her. 

"You see, the first thing we need to know is what talents and virtues you have, and how to exploit them," Kumiko explained, noticing that Catherine was a bit uncomfortable. "It's not any kind of satanic initiation ritual," she joked, trying to relax her. 

"She has nice eyes and fantastic hair," Nala observed.

"The eyes will serve us, but the hair won't. We have to cut it and change the color, above all is her anonymity."

"What?! No, that's impossible," Nina spoke up from the corner where she had half fallen asleep. "The lady has to be herself again outside of here," she clarified, looking at the intimidating glances of the other women, then sat back down. 

"Yes, that's true," Salma agreed, "We'll put her hair up in a bun," she searched through her trunk until she found a black mesh and some clips. She climbed up to another platform and gathered Catherine's long, wavy hair, squeezing it into the mesh and holding it in place with the clips. 

"I look horrible," Catherine looked at herself in the large mirror to her right. 

"Be patient, my lady," Salma ran back to her room and returned with a short, curly blonde wig. She placed it on her head carefully, showing it off to the world as if it were her greatest work. And it was, Catherine looked like a completely different woman. The others applauded the idea and approved of this change.