• Chapter 10 •

Start from the beginning

„Fuck, you're heavier than you look," she groaned, pulling him harder so both of them were covered now. She dropped to her knees, her hand quickly searching for the bullet wound. Her hand tremored slightly, and she liked to think it was because of the exhaustion because he was indeed heavy, not because of her trauma coming back for her ass.

A low groan caused her eyes to snap back to his face, her icy orbs meeting with the dark lenses, and she wished she could see his eyes.

„Hit me in the vest," Ghost said, pulling himself into a sitting position. He let his eyes travel alongside her face, taking in her features.

He never got to truly look at her, mostly because she always managed to piss him off, but right now, her signature smirk was gone, the mischievous glint in her eyes was now taken over by a worried look. Her eyes were such a brilliant blue it caused his brain to stop for a moment.

That moment only lasted for so long till he noticed movement, reaching for his throwing knife and flipping it through the air, hitting another man in the neck. Rora watched the blood splatter from his neck with slight disgust on her face,

„Show-off," she huffed out, getting into position to shoot down some more enemies.

„Nine," Ghost said, already back in a crouching position, throwing her a full clip for her rifle. She almost failed to catch it.

„What?" confusion took over her beautiful features, her attention wandering back to him as she watched the side of his face. He turned his head slightly to her way, then back to his rifle.

„Kill. It's nine," he repeated, and despite his rough voice and the same edge in his voice like his knife, a smile appeared on her face, one of the most genuine ones. He was counting the kills, too, just like her.

„You getting shot almost makes it a zero, don't you think?"

„Don't make me regret it."

„Okay, I'll shut up!" Rora was quick to pull her rifle back on her shoulder, now with a full clip. „Like, right now."

„Would be bloody great."

After shooting some more enemy soldiers, they were clear to continue their way towards the bridge, the only way they could escape this hellhole. She liked trees and the forest, but after this, she was sure as hell that she didn't want to see any other forests for a while.

Following behind Alejandro, she wiped a hand over her forehead, sweat and dust smudging on her pale skin. She got a little tanner over time, but she despised this type of warmth and humidity, her heart wishing she could be somewhere else, while her body was trying its best to get her to somewhere else, somewhere safe.

„There's the bridge," Alejandro pointed it out, her eyes following his gaze. Hope caused her crystalline eyes to shine brighter, it making a sharp contrast against her dark hair and dirty face.

„No visual on extraction," Soap commented, causing her good mood to plummet slightly.

„Comms didn't get through," Rodriguez sighed beside her, his statement followed by a few Spanish curses, at least by the tone of it, she reckoned it was cursing.

„Same, Rod, same," she murmured, her eyes scanning the horizon in hopes that they will find a tank or a helicopter that somehow just happened to be there to help them. She found none.

„We'll radio when we're down there," the Colonel expressed, trying to hold up the spirit in the squad. It did little to none, but she still appreciated his efforts, deciding to spare him from her snarky comments.

Her gaze followed his steps, him haltering at the edge of the rock they were currently standing on, looking at a smaller ledge not far under them. It could be a risky jump, but if she was careful enough, she was sure she would even look cool doing it.