two; pinky promise

chapter two; pinky promise

━━━━━  After a few days, the dreaded first day of school arrived for Noa

━━━━━  After a few days, the dreaded first day of school arrived for Noa. She looked out the window, her face expressionless as she observed the school building. She didn't want to spend the next nine months dealing with new, potentially boring freshmen. Besides, she wasn't looking forward to being separated from her friends. Assuming they were still her friends. Noa wasn't sure anymore.

She'd considered sending a text message to their now inactive group chat to announce her return. But she hesitated, wondering if her friends moved on and if they still remembered her. She feared they erased her from their memories.

Marjorie's voice interrupted her thoughts. "Are you going in?"

Noa kept staring at the building. "I'm not sure I want to."

"Noa, I asked you if you wanted to transfer somewhere else and you said no."

Noa looked over at her. "I just don't know how welcoming my friends will be."

"Why wouldn't they be? You were inseparable."

Noa exhaled. "Yeah, well," She returned her focus to the window and watched the kids file into the school. She couldn't see her friends. "It's been a long time."

But she had no choice but to face her fears as first period approached. After saying goodbye to her mother, she opened the car door and got out. Her mother's last words echoed. "Call me if anything happens!"

Noa leaned down and nodded before closing the door. She waved as her mother's car drove away and disappeared around the corner. She turned and focused on the school building in front of her, taking a deep breath to prepare herself for whatever lay ahead.

As she climbed the stairs, she overheard a blonde and a brunette talking. The blonde was reassuring the brunette. "Manny, there's nothing to be afraid of."

"Nothing but upperclassmen," Manny replied, clutching papers to her chest.

"They're not much older than us," the blonde countered.