affogato

"Two affogato for Nadine!"

Patrick stood up from their seat and followed Nadine to get their orders. He was shocked however, when he saw four glasses in a single tray.

Nadine, taking the tray with her, nudged him to move out of the way and he ended up following her like a lost puppy.

She put everything on the table while he sat down with furrowed eyebrows. Nadine chuckled at the dumbfounded look on her boyfriend's face, pushing his share closer to him.

"So, pano ko 'to . . . iinumin?" Kunot pa rin ang noo nitong tumingin sa kanya. 

Instead of replying, Nadine picked up the smaller glass containing one shot of espresso and poured it over the two huge scoops of ice cream in the bigger glass. After that, she picked up her spoon and took a spoonful to her mouth. The corner of her eyes crinkling as the coolness and sweetness of the ice cream with the stronger taste of espresso hit her taste buds.

Patrick watched Nadine with curiosity. He wants to know why she know about this kind of coffee. He wants to know how it tasted for her or if this is her favorite of all coffee types she had shown him so far.

The expectant look on her face made him move instead, copying what she did. The dark espresso trinkling down the white ice cream. Kung hindi nga lang niya naaamoy 'yong kape, he could've thought he's pouring down chocolate.

He took a spoonful and tasted the odd coldness and bitterness hitting his tongue dulled with the sweetness of the famous dessert.

Nanlaki ang mata niya na ikinangiti ni Nadine. "Okay?" She still asked. "Nagustuhan mo?"

Patrick nodded, scooping another to taste. "Pa'no mo nalaman 'to?"

"Wala lang, na-curious lang ako ano 'yong affogato sa menu nila."

Tumaas ang isang kilay ni Patrick to which Nadine raised both of her hands and nodded mouthing, "seryoso."

Patrick shook his head, hindi makapaniwala na ganon lang kasimple nalaman ni Nadine ang isa ata sa magiging paborito niyang dessert. Or kape. Whatever category suits it.

"At least, nagustuhan mo 'to." 

Both of them laughed. Kagagaling lang nila sa panunuod ng movie na pinili rin ni Nadine at hanggang bago niya matikman 'yong affogato, he's going on and on about the things that doesn't make sense in the movie.

"Bakit mo ba nagustuhan 'yong movie na 'yon?" 

Nadine laughed heartily, a scene Patrick watched with utmost attention.

"Di ko naman talaga siya super gusto," she laughed. "Mas curious ako ano magiging reaction mo."

Patrick's shoulders loosen, shaking his head with an unbelievable smile on his face. "No'ng napanuod mo 'yon, naisip mo agad na ipanuod sa'kin?"

Nadine nodded, relishing on the look on Patrick's face and then remembering the many questionable things he pointed out earlier about the movie. She ended up giggling.

"Kinukwestyon ko na nga mga preferences mo kanina." Patrick laughed with her. "Gusto mo 'yong gano'ng movie tapos gusto mo rin ako."

Nadine stilled, suddenly seeing Patrick in a different light. "But hindi lang naman kita gusto."

Patrick looked away, his lips pursed which made her grin. "Kinilig ka?" Nadine prodded.

He laughed, looking up and in a split second, composing himself to look straight in her eyes. "Oo."

It's Nadine's time to feel the heat rise up her cheeks. "I love you, too."

None of them broke eye contact while Patrick felt his smile getting bigger. Hindi ata siya magsasawang marinig 'yon galing sa girlfriend. 

Nadine watched Patrick's face light up, and all she could ever thought is how she loves the man.

The clanking of spoon and glasses forced the both of them to look at Patrick's affogato. The ice cream melted. 

"Sa bandang dulo lang ata nagustuhan ko." She scooped an affogato to her mouth. "Cute no'ng gumawa sila ng prom para ma-experience niya."

"'Yon nga lang din nagustuhan ko." 

"Pero magugustuhan mo About Time." She raised her right hand holding the teaspoon to swear honesty when she saw the disbelief in his eyes. "I swear."

Patrick continued eyeing Nadine in disbelief while she continued nodding her head to reiterate her honesty until they both burst out laughing.

"Oh!" Nadine exclaimed right after their laughter died down. Her eyes widen a fraction while looking him. "Pupunta pala tayo sa inyo next weekend, 'di ba?"

Right, Patrick thought. He eyed his girlfriend who suddenly became anxious. Patrick reached out and tapped her left hand resting on the table, making her look at him.

Fear, uncertainty and anxiety swirl in those eyes he have come to love. He wrapped her hand in his. "Alam mo, meron ka nang gusto nila agad."

Her eyes silently asked him to which he replied, "mahal kita. Mahal nila 'yong mahal ko."

"Edi mahal din nila mga ex mo?"

Tumango si Patrick na ikinakunot ng noo ng girlfriend. Before she should pull herself out of his grasp, however, he tightened his hold. "Pero sinaktan namin isa't isa, kaya hindi na nila mahal 'yong mga 'yon."

Nadine sighed. "Kinakabahan pa rin ako."

"Alam ko." He smiled. "At nagpapasalamat ako kasi ibig sabihin mahalaga ako sa 'yo at mahalaga sa 'yo na gusto ka ng iba ring mahahalaga sa 'kin."

She shook her head, a smile finally forming again in her lips. 

"Kinilig ka?" Patrick asked, pulling her hand to his lips.

Nadine nodded, the blush creeping up her face when she felt him kissed her knuckles.

"Good."

"Affogato tayo after?" She asked after a moment.

Patrick pretended to think, before smiling. "Kung may space pa sa tyan mo pagkatapos kang pakainin ni Mama."

She smiled. "Ano dapat kong dalhin? Magdala ba ako ng flowers? Cake?"

"Sarili mo lang." 

Nadine pulled her hand, slightly pouting. "Seryoso kasi."

"Seryoso ako. Nakita ko na 'yong listahan ng iluluto nila, sinubukan ko na rin bawasan pero ayaw patalo ni Mama." Nagkabit-balikat ito. "Hinayaan ko na lang din kasi nakakatuwa rin makita na excited silang makita ka."

Aww, Nadine almost cooed but still feel conflicted inside to blurt it out. Patrick, knowing the anxiety will most likely not be relieved completely with these reassuring words alone, remembered exactly what she can bring. 

He scooped what little ice cream left to be scooped. "P'wede ka naman magdala ng cookies kung gusto mong dikitan ka ni Peter maghapon."

Nadine's eye twinkled.