Nilofar's Cabin

ANDREA POV

"Yeah, run Andrea. Run so far and hope to hell that I can't find you. Because when I do, I'll kill you. I'll do it. Once you start running, you won't have no peace. You'll always be looking over your back. You won't be able to laugh. You won't be able to sleep, or trust anyone ever again. I'll make you cry, I'll make you cry tears of blood, Andrea. "

I wake up in a sweat as Devyn's words ring in my ear. As my vision comes into focus I realize that I am sitting under the shade of a willow tree. I start to yawn when suddenly I start to panic because I think about Ezra. Getting up, I check next to me, and there he was, sound asleep. I let out a sigh of relief. We have been on the run for almost two days, and according to my calculation we were probably in the outskirts of Sidus and past the border. Making a few pit stops at border towns and shops I had gotten food and milk for Ezra. He was surprisingly very quiet for a baby. Nilofar's cabin was close, that was where I had to take Ezra since I couldn't take him to the capital-there would be too many questions. Plus no matter what, I had made a promise to Sloane to protect him, even if that meant to keep him away from his family. 

As I stand up I wince in pain as I look down at my leg. The cut on it was getting infected and the swelling had gotten worse. Quietly, making sure not to wake Ezra up, I pick him up and tie him to my chest. Grabbing all my belongings, I start to walk through the thick forest again. To an outsider, this forest might be confusing, and even ominous as the fog hangs so low, but I could get around her like it was my backyard. 

I wonder if the others got out or if they were caught and executed by the Ackermans. Ackerman. Devyn. I try to push away her memory but she seems to consume every thought of mine. The guilt of betraying her hangs over me like a heavy boulder. I would never had done this if it wasn't necessary, for my people, for my country. I hate myself for letting my emotions control me. How could I have fallen in love with her? Why her?

I hop over the rocks in the stream to get to the other side. The pain in my leg shoots up and sends the agony throughout my whole body. I probably deserve this pain, or maybe I don't? Would Devyn had done the same thing if she was in my shoes? I think about Sloane and how she trusted me with her son in her dying moments. Was I worth that? Remembering Sloane made my heart heavy and I stop in my tracks to catch my breath. How could everything they taught us be true? We learned that the people of Orien were oppressors, heartless humans who have a long history of violence. We learned about how they had no capacity to love and how it was our responsibility to tear them down. How could all that be true? 

Suddenly I see Nilofar's symbol on the trunk of a nearby tree and I know that her cabin has to be a mile to the right. Nilofar was an outcast, she preferred living in the forest with her plants and potions. Before she moved here she worked closely with our family and became almost like a mother figure for me when my mother passed. I knew she was someone I could trust. 

Walking down the path I see her tavern that is closed at the moment since it was so early in the morning. She always said she liked to have a place for travelers to stop by. In a few more hundred feet, hiding behind a fence of trees was her cabin. Tears almost rolled down my face. It was good to see something familiar after all of these days. Walking up to the front, I give my distinct knock on the door and wait for Nilofar to open it. I wait, and decide to try again, but just as I am about to, the door swings open and in front of me Nilofar peers down at me. She was an exceptionally tall woman with thick curly black hair. 

"Andrea? Is that really you?"

"Yes, Nilo it's me." 

Her eyes light up and she pulls me into a hug.

"Wait, I have someone with me as well." I say as I untie the cloth holding Ezra close to my chest. Nilofar looks at the child and then at me trying to understand where this tiny human came from.

"Is he.... yours?" She asks as she takes him from my arms. I hesitate at first but decide to say it.

"Yes, he's my son, Ezra." 

She smiles widely and looks down at him in her arms.

"He is beautiful."

"He is."

"Wait, he's burning up. I think he has an awful fever." She says with a look of concern on her face.

"What? How?" 

"How long has he been sleeping?" 

"I don't know... couple of hours?" I reply as my heart starts to beat faster.

"Did you even check to see if he is breathing?" Nilofar asks and my heart drops into my stomach.