( CHAPTER FOUR. )

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR.

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

PRINCESS Rhaenyra had given birth to a second son late in the same year where the spring fever almost claimed Princess Camaela. The child was named Lucerys (Luke for short). Septon Eustace tells us that both Ser Laenor and Ser Harwin were at Rhaenyra's bedside for his birth. Like his brother, Jace, Luke had brown eyes and a healthy head of brown hair, rather than the silver-gilt hair of Targaryen princelings, but he was a large and lusty lad, and King Viserys was delighted with him when the child was presented at court. 

None was more fond of the small babe other than his aunt, the gentle princess, as the court has taken to call her. She would spend the day at his cradle, poking at his chubby cheeks and watching as the wetnurses tended to him. She would only leave his side when the queen would summon her to the supper and shared meals. 

The sins of the fathers are oft visited on the sons, wise men have said; and so it is for the sins of mothers as well. The enmity between Queen Alicent and Princess Rhaenyra was passed on to their sons, and the queen's three boys, the Princes Aegon, Aemond, and Daeron, grew to be bitter rivals of their Velaryon nephews, resentful of them for having stolen what they regarded as their birthright: the Iron Throne itself (and the affection of their beloved sister to some of them). The princess' young brothers grew bitter at the display of affection while the king dotted on his daughters and grandchildren. 

But none held a hatred as cruel more than the young Prince Aemond.

AEGON

AS LONG AS HE REMEMBERED HIS EXISTENCE, Aegon remembered his sister. She was there even before Helaena, Aemond and Daeron. She has been there more than his own mother. He remembered the nights when they used to share a nursery⎯ he would climb down his own bed and snuggle himself closer to his sister's soft silks. 

Camaela feels the mattress dip and strong fingers wrap around hers, and she does not open her eyes. For she knows who the body belongs to⎯ Aegon has yet made a nightmare and decided to smother her body with his. She did not complain, even when his grip leaves behind a trail of fading bruises. She did not protest even when he burried his head in her blonde locks and restrained her from moving. 

She only offered him comfort. And Aegon would only receive hers. Never did his mother kiss his palm like his sister did.

At nine name-days, Aegon was certain of only two things, his love for Sunfyre and his sister.