Chapter 2

Melody's POV

I woke up to the oh so lovely sound of my beeping alarm clock. It sounds like a dying whale, specifically a dying whale that is dying a very slow and painful death.

"Ugh." I grit out as I roll over, covering my face with one of my pillows, hoping to block out the sound for a little longer.

The one of the pure joys of having to attend school, waking up at the crack of dawn, unreasonable, I know. I quickly press the stop button on the alarm on my iPhone. Ah, silence at last, alarms are such an annoying sound to hear so early in the morning, it's more than enough to make someone miserable. I then throw my duvet over my head as an extra precaution and dozed off again in an attempt to get in a few extra minutes before my brothers send me off to my death-high school. A couple of seconds later or maybe it was minutes later, I honestly don't know, I heard Mason shout from somewhere downstairs.

"Mel, get up, you don't wanna be late for the first day of senior year. Especially since you're the new girl."

I let out an over exaggerated sigh and reply with a simple fine. It's not like I can win an argument against my brothers on why I shouldn't go to school, I say that from experience. Been there done that, I failed colossally on multiple occasions might I add. I lazily rubbed my sleepy eyes before checking the clock on the wall opposite from me only to see it was 7:00am. I have a whole 1 hour and 30 minutes before school starts. That's a lot of time, I mean I need less than 30 minutes to throw together a decent outfit, get done and have breakfast. So theoretically I could close my eyes for an extra 30 minutes. That was all the convincing I needed to start dozing off.

"Don't even think about closing your eyes to get some more sleep young lady." Yells Mason from downstairs. I swear sometimes it feels as though they are psychic. Or maybe it's because they know me so well, maybe I've become boringly predictable. That's a problem, me being predictable.

"Ugh. I wasn't sleeping, I was simply resting my eyes." I mutter back while rolling my eyes.

I quickly make my way out of my very comfortable bed and run into the bathroom. All my hopes of getting some extra shut eye have absolutely died. Luckily I have my own ensuite so I don't need to leave the confines of my own personal space just yet. I take a quick shower then run into my walk-in closet with my towel wrapped tightly around me. I guess I was in such a hurry that I kind of forgot to take some clothing with me to the bathroom. I put together an outfit before adding some makeup, just so that I look a little less dead. I mean I did get very little sleep last night, it's most definitely my own fault but that's really not the point. The point is that I got very little beauty sleep last night.

My outfit for my first day of senior year was nothing special, just a basic tee and a pair of jeans. A simple outfit, one that seemed to fit my very unbothered mood. The only jewelry item I had decided to add was a necklace, which was a plain chain with two rings on it. The rings used to belong to my parents, it was their wedding rings. I wear it all the time because it makes me feel like they are always with me, but it's also a reminder to be careful and to never forget who I am. Shaking my head to get rid of the many depressing thoughts that started plaguing it I grab my school bag and sling it over my shoulder and start making my way downstairs, it's about 8.10am now. I have 20 minutes to get to school, not bad, I guess I took a lot longer to get done than I would have thought. I head straight to the kitchen to find it full of my family, my big brothers and older cousins.

They say "Good morning " in unison with very chirpy voices. I roll my eyes. Why are they all so chirpy? It's too early. Morning people. Either they're morning people or they just managed to get sufficient sleep so that they can function as complete people.