Chapter Thirty-Three

It was the last day of spring break for those from America. Michael, Cole and Lyn would fly out the next day, very early in the morning. Gerald had his hand wrapped around mine and Emilie and Harry were not far behind us, entwined in each others arms. The night was strange, the clouds were low and mist was rising from the warm gardens. The trees and other large plants loomed out of the mist like hands reaching to snatch us into the darkness.Michael was walking ahead of us, lost in his own world. Behind Gerald and I Lyn made a joke to Cole and he laughed loudly; the sound echoing oddly in the clouds. A stick snapped behind us. I turned, already jumpy from the strange night. But there was nothing there, I turned back around and caught Michael's eye."Spooky." he chuckled I nodded as another twig snapped behind us. Suddenly Lyn screamed and there was a scuffle behind me. Out of the clouds a shape loomed and tackled me to the ground. It took about thirty seconds before I realized that that shape was Alaine. Gerald pulled Alaine off of me and they went down with Gerald underneath. "Run!" Gerald yelled. I took off with Michael not far behind me. I ducked and weaved through the gardens, heading towards the security center to find help for my friends. But the clouds were confusing me, and while I thought I was going the right way I must have made a wrong turn somewhere because soon Michael and I were lost."Do you know where we are?" Michael panted"No." I turned in a circle, feeling eyes on me everywhere, "I don't know.""You used a conjunction.""What?" I asked. Being momentarily out of Alaine's hands sent my adrenaline pumping through my veins. I was terrified. It had been almost a year since I had last seen him, since I had last been destroyed by him..."You said 'don't' which is a conjunction and you don't usually say those.""Be quiet." I said softly. I thought I could hear something in the distance, coming towards us. He started whispering, "Who was that Marilyn? Random people don't attack large groups for the Hell of it.""An old boyfriend.""Neither do jealous old boyfriends." Michael cocked an eyebrow at me."No, but jealous boyfriends who rape their old girlfriends do." I watched as his eyes widened in horror."Marilyn..."He hugged me tight and I could hear his heart pounding, "Why didn't you tell anyone?" "It's my pain to bear.""You are so French. I'm you're friend, you could have told me.""Are you my friend?" I snapped, feeling the weight of his week of silence heavy on me. He pulled back and we stared at each other, then a sharp object was pressed against my throat."Touching, really. Marilyn is in love with a man who calls her his friend while her lover drowns in his own blood." Alaine purred menacingly."What did you do to Gerald?!" I cried"The question, mon cherié, is what did I not do to him?" Guilt ripped through me. I had accidentally dragged my friends into an event planned solely for me, and left them with Alaine and his associates. "Michael, run. Get the police." "I'm not leaving you." "Yes you are.""Oh do not go, Michael. I'd love to have you watch." Alaine smiled slyly, running his tongue over his teeth. I spun quickly and kicked Alaine in the knees. He fell, taking me down with him. I felt the knife blade stick into me. "Michael! Go!" and thankfully, he left. Alaine ripped the knife out of my abdomen and held it to my throat. I could feel the blade bite into my flesh, my own blood leaving a stain across my tender throat. I laid still, knowing that it would be over sooner if I didn't fight him. And a part of me was hoping Michael would be back in time. Alaine fumbled with his pants, cursing about how annoying buttons are. Eventually he was ready and he shoved my skirt out of the way. I heard footsteps running our way and so did Alaine."Merde." he mumbled in my ear. He shoved against me, and a large amount of blood spurted out of my wound. I cried out. Alaine noticed then, and his panic was overwhelmingly obvious in his eyes. "Marilyn! What have I done! I did not want to kill you!" "No, you only wanted to hurt her in ways worse than death." Michael's voice growled above us."You cut her throat! You killed her!""I'm fine..." I mumbled. I held my hand against my cut, it came away bloody."She's dying! Do something!" "I am doing something." Michael said. Two police officers materialized from the fog and Alaine was quickly handcuffed and dragged off to the station. An ambulance raced me to the hospital, and Michael rode along with us, my head in his lap. "You saved me." I said, tears running down my cheeks."Well, I love you." Michael said as he gently wiped away my tears.