Chapter 25

Zach's POV

What was that?!?

Did I snap at him? It sounded like I snapped at him.

Ugh I have no idea how our conversation led to this abrupt end to the phone call.

It's the Saturday when I see Matt after the......interesting phone call that we had.

I am sitting on my couch drinking coffee when I see him come towards me, it takes me off guard.

"What are you doing here?" He winces when I finish asking the question, and I immediately regret how it sounded. I didn't have to sound so rude.

But seriously why is he here? Is this about the phone call?

He clears his throat "Um I'm here for Dan" he says and I look at him confused, "he and I are supposed to hang out today" he says when he sees the confusion on my face.

"Oh" I say "right" i mutter, I completely forgot. Of course this isn't about the phone call.

"I guess I'm going to call him for you" I say and begin to get up to head over to Dan's room but Matt stops me.

"The maid that opened the door already said that she'll do that" he said.

I look at him for a moment and slowly nod my head, I sit back down and gesture for him to take a seat on the couch opposite me.

And we just look at each other, not saying anything. It's incredibly awkward.

I open my mouth and close it a few times, unable to know what to say but I can't say that the same goes for him. Because after a few more awkward seconds he decides to open his mouth.

"Soooo, about that phone call".

I stiffen when he says that, and I'm pretty sure he notices. 

Dammit! I didn't want him to start a conversation about that.

I clear my throat, trying to seem less awkward and less unwilling to talk.

"What about it?" I ask, yeah, playing dumb, that'll work.

He looks at me nervously and says. "W-well I guess I'm asking what all of that was about". He says.

I decide to continue playing dumb.

"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean". I say and he just gives me a look that says "really".

I just stare at him though, not saying anything, not giving anything away.

He sighs, frustrated. "Okay I guess I'm going to have to say it then". He says.

I blink at him.

"I joked about not being successful, or not being as successful and I don't know, I feel like I offended you somehow and I don't know where it went wrong exactly, so can you just please tell me so that we can put this behind us and I don't know be friends again?" He says.

I close my eyes in frustration and open them to look at him again.

"You didn't offend me, Matt" I say and he shakes his head in confusion. "Then, what happened, you just completely snapped at me". He says.

I run a hand through my hair and sigh.

"It's stupid" I say and look him in the eyes again, he just blinks at me, waiting for me to continue.

"The reason I...snapped at you is because..." I trail off, thinking about how stupid my situation is and sigh in frustration before I finally say....

" I guess I'm jealous of you, Matt".

"Jealous?...of me"

"That's what I said, isn't it?" I snap.

He raises his eyebrow at me, and I sigh.

"Sorry"

"It's fine" he replies.

"You've had a good life Matt and of course I don't know all of it but I'm pretty damn jealous of what I do know" I say. "you have a job you love, you had a wife that you had a full on love story with, I never had that with Wendy. You have my daughter who loves and adores you and I can tell that you've been a great parent better than I've ever been to her better than I've been to Ivan and Dan during those six years, you're everything that I wish I was, you have things that I wish I had and I'm jealous and it's stupid I admit it I'm sure you have your own issues your own problems but I guess I have mine too."

There are a few moments of silence before Matt chuckles.

"I guess it is stupid" he says and I look at him, feeling kind of offended.

"It's stupid because I'm the one who is jealous of you" he says and I'm intrigued. He clears his throat. "I mean in my time with Francesca before we moved here she always talked about you and contacting you. And here she comes home late every day and I don't get to see her at all now and it's pretty annoying, it's really freaking annoying"

I respond to him "You know what's really freaking annoying is having to listen about how great you are every day".

He looks at me and raises his eyebrows.

"So you're telling me that when she's with you She talks about me all the time and when she's with me she talks about you all the time?" He says.

I think about it for a second and nod my head.

He shakes his, "this girl" he mutters and laughs, it makes me laugh.

A few more minutes and we hear footsteps coming down the stairs. Probably Dan.

And what do you know, he appears just shortly after.

Matt immediately stands up to greet him.

They shake hands.

"It's good to see you Dan" Matt says, he couldn't sound anymore awkward if he tried, it makes me smile a little.

"Yeah you too" Dan says, sounding as awkward as well.

I guess it is a pretty awkward situation.

They just stand there not saying anything to each other, not knowing what to say to each other.

Dear god, how will they survive an entire day together like this?

I take petty on them and start a conversation.

"So, Matt, where are you planning on taking Dan?" I ask.

Matt looks at me gratefully

"Well, I was thinking that we could go to the park, eat take out, get to know each other" he turns to look at Dan.

"Does that sound good?" He asks.

Dan smiles softly and nods.

A sigh of relief escapes Matt and then he smiles and nods "great".

"Well I wouldn't want to keep you" I say as I stand up to leave.

"Just come back before 12" I say and Matt nods his head, his expression serious, while Dan just rolls his eyes, I narrow my eyes at him and he just stares sheepishly.

I turn to leave them and the living room, hoping it all goes well on their little outing.

*************************************************

Hey guys! Here is a bit of a short chapter for you!

Next we are going to see Matt and Dan do some bonding!!!