"C'mon, why don't you come with us?" Maya tried to pull away again, but his grip became tighter again. Maya swore she could feel the guy's fingers against her bones.

"Just let go of me and leave me alone!" Maya felt the guy tugging at her, trying to take her with him.

Please, please, Miggy. Please, Eli; Maya thought, closing her eyes tightly.

"Get the hell away from her!" Maya was pulled away, Maya saw it was Miguel and hugged him immediately. Maya saw Eli pushing one of the guys to the ground, as Miguel stroked her hair.

"I'm sorry I didn't see you sooner, Maya." Miguel could hear Maya crying into his shoulder.

"I should've stayed inside like you said, Miggy." Hawk came back to the two, seeing Maya cry into Miguel's shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Maya," Miguel whispered, looking at Hawk.

Miguel didn't know what to do. He wanted to protect Maya, but he couldn't be around her all hours of the day. Maya wanted to defend herself, she so desperately wanted to, but she didn't know how.

~

The next day, Miguel had another karate practice. Maya didn't fight Miguel when he said she was going with him. Maya stayed locked up in her room, she didn't even let Miguel inside. Unknowingly to Miguel, Hawk was inside. Which was one of the reasons why the door stayed locked.

Hawk hated how quiet Maya was. He didn't know what she was thinking, or how to help her. Maya just wanted to sleep. She just wanted to forget about it, which was why she was so happy to finally go and do something that would get her mind off of it.

Maya didn't expect to come to a junkyard where Johnny forced them all to mix cement. Maya hadn't met the man that Miguel had yesterday, but she got to meet him that day.

"Little Diaz!" Maya looked up, as did Miguel. Why did Sensei need her; Miguel wondered, watching Maya walk to the two.

"Yeah, Johnny?" Maya asked, folding her arms.

"I want you to meet John Kreese." Maya shook the man's hand.

"Your Diaz's little sister?" He asked, glancing at Miguel.

"Yeah, I'm Maya," Maya muttered, glancing at the ground.

"So, you're not learning karate?" Maya shook her head. "From what I saw yesterday, it seems like you should." Maya froze as she stared at the ground.

"Miguel wants to protect me, I don't need to learn with him and his friends." Johnny glanced at Miguel. Johnny knew that he didn't want Maya to learn, but now Johnny thought Maya needed to learn.

"Do you want to learn?" Johnny asked, Maya, looked at him. Of course, she did, everyone looked so badass when they did karate. They could defend themselves. They weren't defenseless. They didn't have to wait for someone to rescue them.

"Well yeah, but Miguel-"

"I can convince Miguel." Johnny interrupted Maya, glancing at Miguel. She smiled. She wanted to learn, she needed to learn.

After that, Maya watched most of the Cobra's went inside a cement mixer. Maya was skeptical, but she didn't say anything to Johnny. Slowly, it started to move, and Maya guessed that was what Johnny wanted since he was cheering for them.

When Johnny told them to get out, he started to spray them off with a hose. Maya knew that Eli would take more time than usual to clean out his hair that night. Miguel looked absolutely hilarious, Maya couldn't stop laughing. Miguel almost put some cement on Maya, but Hawk stopped him.

~

Miguel walked behind the group since his Sensei said he wanted to talk to him. Maya walked with Hawk, he made sure that she was always with someone.

"Your sister would make a great Cobra, Diaz." Johnny blurted, Miguel, looking ahead of him.

"She doesn't need karate, Sensei." Johnny shook his head.

"Miguel, you saw what happened yesterday. She needs to learn, just like you needed to learn." Miguel shook his head.

"She's got me and Hawk," Miguel argued, he didn't know why he was so against Maya learning karate. He just thought she didn't need to.

"I know it's hard to imagine, Miguel, but one day you won't be there and neither will Hawk. What's gonna happen then? She won't be able to protect herself." Miguel stared at the back of Maya's head, he knew what Johnny was true, but he hated it. He hated that he was right and that there was a possibility that Miguel wouldn't be there one day to protect Maya.
________________________________
Word Count:1,375